Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:27 PM

Monitor not recognised

Hi. I just received a new Acer computer, running Windows 7. I switched it on for the first time tonight. The screen was showing the 'setting up the computer for the first time' display and asking me to set the country etc. The keyboard and mouse are wireless. The keyboard worked ok but I couldn't get the cursor to move to do anything so I plugged in a USB mouse. Nothing happened either so I switched the computer off again and restarted in the hope that it would recognise the new mouse. When the computer powered up the screen was blank i.e. it didn't think there was a computer attached to it...and vice versa. I tried another two different monitors with the same results. Without seeing anything on the screen, I'm not able to do anything with it. What can I do to resolve this? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to send it back as there might be a simple remedy. Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
brand new computer - time to call acer since it is under warranty. if you are getting absolutley nothing it could be bad ram if you have onboard video or bad video card - if it sounds like everything is being turned on when you power up. maybe open it and mske sure they are properly plugged in - if it does not violate the warranty.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
brand new computer - time to call acer since it is under warranty. if you are getting absolutley nothing it could be bad ram if you have onboard video or bad video card - if it sounds like everything is being turned on when you power up. maybe open it and mske sure they are properly plugged in - if it does not violate the warranty.
I was trying to avoid doing that, but it sounds like I'll have to. Thanks for the reply.