Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Computer hard drive to external hard drive

I'm new at this so I hope I explain this correctly.
I have a six year old Dell 2350 with a 30 GB Hard drive, 256MB Memory.
I am replacing the Hard drive with an 80 GB and the memory with 512 MB.
I have a Sea Gate 500 GB ext hard drive. Now, can I transfer every thing onto the ext. HD, erase the old HD. install the new HD and reinstall all or portions of the info back to the new HD from the external HD ?.
I have two slots for the memory. Should I add the new 512 MB card to the present 256MB . Or remove the 256 MB and install the 512 only ?. It seems if I add the two cards in series it will be an added total of 768 MB...
Then, I'm assuming I will have to go through the process of installing all the original software as new ?.
The Sea Gate did not come with written instructions so I hope they are on the installation disc.
Thanks for the help !!!.
Old February 14th, 2010, 08:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can do a back onto the external drive then install the backup once the new drive is in place.

As far as the ram, install all to get 768
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Thank you Renegade !!, I wanted to make sure before I got into this. Pretty straight forward but I'm an old vacuume tube tech. so most of this is new to me other than just useing the computer..
Best regards and thanks again..