Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Windows Problem

I went under msconfig and disabled all processes because my computer was running slow. After I disabled all of the processes, my windows is now not loading up. All I see now is a black screen with a blinking cursor. I did try going to safe mode by tapping F8 but the 2 options that were given to me were setup and boot mode. I tried selecting both and would not go into safe mode. I am running Windows XP. Thank you for any response
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Deleting all services is a VERY bad idea. Check carefully what it is safe to disable before doing so. Try going into safe mode again, Google "safe mode" there can be several ways of doing this.

You can try this, which might help :

Start computer with the win XP cd in and boot from it
DON'T click repair, but instead install.
When it's loaded it will find your installation and give you the option of pressing a certain key to repair it.
All this does is restore your win system files, doesn't affect your docs.

Be very careful not to format your hard drive whilst doing this, and also remember that your computer might be in a very fragile state right now. If this works, the first thing you should do should be backup docs and key files, then re-enable all the things you disabled or do a system restore. I can't accept any responsibility if this damages your installation further and you still can't get your files. This should work, but things don't always go as planned.