Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 26th, 2006, 06:33 PM

Angry Windows STOP Messages

Hi, I have a ton of ailments on my PC right now.

I'm not sure where I can pinpoint what exactly is causing all my problems, I'm afraid that it could possibly be my motherboard or video card screwing things up, but I'm unsure.

Any help would be appreciated:

Setup:
Two hard drives, each with it's own MBR and each having an install of Windows XP.

Let's call them hard drives A and B.

Hard drive A is an SATA1 hard drive, and B is SATA2.

Symptoms:

1) Booting into Windows XP on hard drive A normally causes me to get the Blue Screen of Death with a STOP message. The Messages vary, and it's never the same code that appears. HOWEVER, booting into safe mode I never get that message.

I try to do a system restore, no luck. I scan for viruses and malware using adaware and Microsoft Windows Defender, and it's clean.

2) Booting into Windows XP on hard drive B works for a certain period of time. It's not stable though, and I get the Blue Screen of Death with a random STOP message sometimes within minutes, sometimes within hours of running. Booting into safemode I never seem to get the message.

Also free of any malware or viruses.

3) When running Windows XP on hard drive B, I can't install any programs as I get weird corruption errors whenever any setup file is run.

Does anyone know what might be causing my errors? Or what piece of hardware might have failed on me?

My specs:

AMD 3700+
EVGA nForce 4 SLI motherboard
1 gig of generic corsair ram
1 250 Gig SATA Seagate Barracuda
1 250 Gig SATA2 Samsung Hard drive
EVGA GeForce 7800 GT

Thanks a plenty!

Lee

Last edited by LeeMobile; September 26th, 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Can you post one of the stop error messages, because there are several and each one normally means a different thing. Here is a link to the most common stop error messages.
http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html