Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Angry Windows XP SP2 STOP ERROR Messages

Hi,
Have had this problem for a while now, amongst numerous others. I have been receiving Stop Error Messages in the blue screen, they vary, and I have received the following more than once: 0x0000000A, 0x000000D1, 0x0000008E and 0x00000000, as well as ntfs.sys PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, 0x00000050 and win32k.sys errors. I am running a custom build with an AMD processor, and have read in other posts that some of the errors refer to drivers and others to hardware issues, and also read a post where someone had a similar problem because the graphics card’s fan had stopped working and this damaged the motherboard, this has happened to me, although the Stop error messages were occurring before the fan stopped working, though less frequently. It’s also worth pointing out that all the other posts that I read referred to errors happening with computers using AMDs. Are known issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM

I have had that same prob running an AMD with XP SP2
When this happens, and you reboot, does it boot to Windows normally, or does it go to your "safe mode, last known go con fig screen?
If it does, do any of them work,or get so far, then your PC reboots again ?
I ended up going into BIOS and loading "fail safe defaults" it would then load up XP, I'd run it like that for a day or 2 then reset the BIOS back to "optimized defaults" ,so far so good.
So try setting your BIOS to fail safe defaults, and see if that prob stops
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM

Hi,

I find that it starts normally most of the time although it does occasionally go to the safe mode screen. I have changed the BIOS settings in the past but not as frequently as every two days, I will try it however and let you know. Thanks for your reply
Old February 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Windows Stop Error Messages

Have tried loading the fail safe defaults in the BIOS but it appears to make no difference.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM

D/L Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/
Run that for a few hours, if you have more than one stick of RAM,pull one, run it, then switch them, run again, then try with both in, you could have a bad stick of RAM.
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Windows stop error messages resolution

Dear Whitewolf,

I ran mem test twice, once removing the ram stick i bought recently and only leaving the chip that came with the motherboard in, which brought up numeous errors, and then ran it the second time using only the new ram chip and removing the old one, the scan reported no errors, so I have stopped using the old ram and al of the problems I was experiencing have disappeared. I have had this problem since buying the pc, obviously as the ram was faulty, but it has been driving me inane.

Thank you very much for your solution.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

You have learned something I write here almost every day and that is to mix ram, is an almost impossible situation with ddr ram, and the newer the pc the worse the problem.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM

windows Stop error messages

A lesson learned indeed. Thanks for the help.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich M
You have learned something I write here almost every day and that is to mix ram, is an almost impossible situation with ddr ram, and the newer the pc the worse the problem.
Just a thank you to you and WhiteWolf4...I never thought of RAM as the problem.

I have this thing about old WinBook Si's with P-III's and the latest couple I bought on eBay just wouldn't run XP with new HDD's - I got stop errors, lots of 'em. I had 256MB of RAM in there. I tried all the suggested solutions: safe mode (when I could get it into safe mode ), check drivers, pull out the DVD-ROM, disable the FDD...nothing.

I came here, saw the RAM suggestion, took out one of the sticks and...PROBLEM SOLVED! XP wasn't happy with only 128MB left, but I'll buy some more to fix that problem. It's amazing how few help venues mention bad RAM as a cause of XP stop errors.

All that to say that this forum rocks! I was here a year ago with a problem with a dLink wireless card in another WinBook running W98SE and the solution to that problem was found here quickly too.
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:37 AM
Banned

Thanks for kind words mineralsprings, makes up for all the ones who call us "hauty"!