Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:37 AM

License key question

I have two genuine copies of Windows 7, both have been activated on different family computers....(dont ask long story)

I would like to sell one of the copies being up front that it is used and a new key is required

My question is if the buyer reactivates the existing key will it affect my installed version, will it make my installed verion in effect a copy, and become unsupported?

I hope you understand my question if not I will try to rephrase.

thanks
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you did not say what type of copies, oem, upgrade full retail versions, on ones that came with a computer.

you cannot legally sell your copy as long as it is installed. It comes with a coa and you are required by microsoft eula to keep it. when you resell a retail version, everything that came with it must go with it.

If oem or came with a computer, you cannot resell for any reason if it has ever been installed in a computer - no exceptions
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM

I am not sure what OEM, COA, EULA means. ******see below******
Here is the background I bought a new pc with windows 7 installed the disc reads 'only licensed for distribution with a new PC' - I then upgraded another family PC from Vista to 7 using the same, but soon encountered the 'not geniuine' issues after a month. So we decided to buy another copy of 7 for this PC. This is new one is the full retail version not the upgrade, we used the license key to validate the previous 'not genuine' copy.
This is the copy I now wish to sell to recoup some of my investment in the second copy Windows 7. I have two valid licence keys one from the original installed veriosn and one from the bought version. They are both effectively installed on my PC's - If and when I sell I will not be selling or passing on the licence key, just the software.

*****just read this page which explains http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/c...x?pg=coa******

Last edited by Captain_Fishy; April 28th, 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: update
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
the disc that read, "only licensed for distribution with a new pc" is oem. You can never install it into another computer once you installed it on one (even if you uninstall). It can never be resold, given away or whatever without the computer going with it.

the retail dvd can only be resold if you uninstalled it from the computer you currently have it on.

coa is the sticker on the dvd case that gives the key and other information.

eula is the licensed you agree to when you installed the os.

why would anyone what to pay you for the dvd then turn around and pay microsoft for a new key... It would end up costing them more than if they purchased it legally.

In addition if you should have computer issues, you will need that dvd, you will not be able to use the oem dvd to fix most problems on a machine with the retail version on it. .

Last edited by renegade600; April 28th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.