Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:14 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
recommend an email program?

Since windows dropped outlook express in the windows 7 package, could anyone recommend a good email program. I do not like the look and feel of the Windows Live Hotmail business.
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
I install Office 2007 and use Outlook 2007.

You can shave it down to get it to resemble Outlook Express (from Windows XP) and Windows Mail (from Windows Vista).
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

O/S: Linux
If you like the simplicity of Windows Mail or Outlook Express you could take a look at Thunderbird.
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
You could try Gmail or Yahoo.
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I'm using Incredimail, it's free and fairly easy to use. I used it before, years ago and like you I don't like what Windows 7 wants me to do. I tried Thunderbird, it's good too, but decided on incredimail for simplicity.

http://http://www.incredimail.com/english/splash.aspx
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Windows Live Mail is not actually that frightening all you need do is turn off the Live on line feeds etc and it is quite simple to use.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Where do you get Windows Mail or Live Mail?
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
Where do you get Windows Mail or Live Mail?
Windows Live Essentials is available through Windows Update or here at Microsoft's Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live Essentials includes many of the "Live" programs like;
Messenger
Mail
Photo Gallery
Movie Maker
Writer
Toolbar
Family Safety

If you just wanted Windows Live Mail [that] is available here at Microsoft' Windows Live Mail.
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
I like the free AOL email program much better than the Windows Live email program. I also like the AOL homepage better, so I plan to make AOL my homepage and email of choice.
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hello pjgames - you've already received plenty of suggestions. A decision that I went through a few years ago was trying to get my wife OFF using Outlook Express or a computer-base e-mail system; transferring her account to a new computer was a chore and of course the program was unavailable while traveling (unless it was synced on a laptop).

Currently, we are both using Yahoo Mail - I like a web-based e-mail option; Yahoo is responsible for storing (and protecting) your messages and you have access from any computer; of course, this has to be balanced against not having your messages on your own hard drive (unless downloaded).

But, the 'bottom line' is to first decide whether to go w/ a computer vs. a web-based system - might help to 'narrow' the many choices given already; good luck and let us know you decision?
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
me be honest, me no longer use email software. I have one online email account and forward all of my other email accounts to it online. This way I have a backup of all my important emails, never have to worry about a harddrive or software crash, dont have to worry about transferring my emails to new computers, my emails go through at least two different spam checks, and finally I have access to my emails no matter what computer I am on. I have been doing this for about five years now.
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM

I'm still using Outlook 2003 for my main e-mail address. This address is only given out to certain people so I can avoid receiving spam.
The rest of my e-mails are sent to Gmail or Yahoo.
If I do receive any important e-mails sent to my Outlook address I forward them to my Gmail and Yahoo accounts for safekeeping.
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM

i use hotmail and outlook