Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Windows 7 OEM install

I have a pc running Win7 RC. I built the pc months ago, but did not install a permanent OS. With Win7 now available for sale, I bought the OEM version to save a few bucks from the retail version.

My question is, I'm reading on the windows package about using the OEM Preinstall Kit (OPK).

Since I'm not a professional builder, do I need to install this OPK? I'm really a novice who wanted to see if I could build a machine from scratch, which I did, now I just want to install the OS, finally. I have not broken the seal on the package.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:58 AM

I'm puzzled? I have asked a bad question? I purchased a legit Win7 version from NewEgg.com, just want to know about the OEM kit before I install the OS.
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Yes, there is a problem JHL. According to the Microsoft OEM System Builder Agreement, OEM software should only be sold with a fully assembled computer system and it must be preinstalled on the system it is sold with. The exception to the preinstallation rule is server software. See here. I am aware that NewEgg.com does sell this software to people who are not System Builders and it has been brought to Microsoft's attention so as far as I am concerned, the ball is in their court.

Having said that, it is this site's policy not to assist in matters that contravene licensing terms and conditions. I am sure you can understand our position.
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the reply

So I can't get an answer because I'm not selling my PC? It's fully assembled and running Win7 RC, I just need a permanent OS. I didn't buy the OEM with any other bundled product. The PC was built and functional and if I intended to sell it, it needs an OS. It's needs an OS regardless, the Win7 RC is not going to last forever.

Not sure how I'm violating the policy, but I understand...I guess.

Last edited by JHL; October 29th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The way I read AnnMarie's answer, unless you are a computer MANUFACTURER, the use of OEM software is illegal and NewEgg sold you something they weren't legally able to sell. According to the link AnnMarie provided, OEM software may ONLY be distributed with a "fully assembled computer system". So unless you bought it already installed on your computer, NewEgg sold it to you illegally. And it's for that reason that this site won't help.
Old October 30th, 2009, 02:25 AM

I Understand.