Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM

O/S: MacOS
Couple of questions

Hi there

I currently have W7 Evaluation Copy (build 7100) on one HD and Vista HomePrem 64bit on my other HD. I have ordered W7 Ultimate Upgrade and I was wondering if I could simply upgrade W7 with it? Or will I have to install it on the Vista drive?

I also have a bit of a niggle, maybe I should post it in a different thread, but Ill ask here for now -

My HP Photosmart D5460 printer works fine in Vista but in W7, it is, to all intents and purposes installed, yet it won't print anything. I click to print something, it says its printing and the print icon appears in the task bar. But nothing happens. When I look in the printer queue nothing is there waiting to be printed. I thought Id downloaded the correct drivers (I could only find Vista ones though) but maybe they're just not compatible with W7. Is there a logical list of things to do to troubleshoot this.

Oh - I just looked and it doesn't seem to appear in Device Manager but it is showing in Devices and Printers:

Thanks for any help
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
From what I have read in the official streams, you will still need to do a clean install if you are running the rc version.

HOWEVER, I found the following workaround - use at your own risk

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3075/...s-7-rc-to-rtm/

as far as your printer problem, it should work if it worked in vista. Did you try to do a troubleshoot compatibility when you installed the drivers?
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM

So I can do a clean install on the W7RC drive using the W7 Upgrade disc I am buying?
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
So I can do a clean install on the W7RC drive using the W7 Upgrade disc I am buying?
Yes you can...
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Thats good news, thanks
Old October 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Did you try to do a troubleshoot compatibility when you installed the drivers
I dont remember actually. Maybe I should somehow start again (installing the printer)
Old October 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM

I 'removed' the printer, found the disc and reinstalled it. I have conflicting messages now though, on the one hand it says its there,

but something else says it cant install it:

Either way it wont print, so I guess this (fairly new) printer isnt compatible with W7?
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

if the disk is older than june 2009 then you need to go to hp's website and give the latest drivers a try. If vista does not work, give xp drivers a try. Or once you download the file, right click it and give compatibility troubleshoot a try. I notice there is a basic driver pack, maybe give it a try. I did a google search and it looks like others did get theirs working, just did not see their solution. One thing you are unplugging it from the usb until you get it installed? Also are you using a usb hub or plugging it directly into the computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...ubmit=Go%20%BB

Last edited by renegade600; October 20th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 20th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I think its a bit earlier than June 09. I downloaded what I thought were the latest drivers from HP, but not the Basic ones, the full package. I had the printer unplugged from the USB when I attempted an install but it is plugged into a hub, which I did wonder about.....

Ill uninstall everything and download the basic driver and try again with it plugged directly into the PC. My wire isnt long enough lol Ill have to find a longer one

Not sure I knew about the compatability thing, Ill give that a go too

Old October 20th, 2009, 05:40 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight View Post
I think its a bit earlier than June 09. I downloaded what I thought were the latest drivers from HP, but not the Basic ones, the full package. I had the printer unplugged from the USB when I attempted an install but it is plugged into a hub, which I did wonder about.....

Ill uninstall everything and download the basic driver and try again with it plugged directly into the PC. My wire isnt long enough lol Ill have to find a longer one

Not sure I knew about the compatability thing, Ill give that a go too

If the hub has its own power source it may be okay as long as you do not have too much other stuff plugged into it.
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Ive tried everything you suggested, got quite a long way with the compatibility troubleshooter but it fell at the last hurdle and refused to accept that the printer was either powered on/connected to the computer. So maybe Ill have to wait a couple of days as HP say they are not releasing drivers for this RC version.

Quote:
HP is not providing support or drivers for beta or test versions of Windows 7.
For products that will have Windows 7 drivers, the drivers will be released after HP has tested and qualified their reliability. Once qualified, HP might release drivers before Microsoft releases the final version of Windows 7 to the public. Not every driver will be available before the release of Windows 7 and some models may not have any early release drivers.
Ill just keep my fingers crossed it works with the real thing. Funnily enough, it worked with the BETA
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
I currently have W7 Evaluation Copy (build 7100) on one HD and Vista HomePrem 64bit on my other HD. I have ordered W7 Ultimate Upgrade and I was wondering if I could simply upgrade W7 with it? Or will I have to install it on the Vista drive?
Hi Julie, the RC Build 7100 is a beta version and does not qualify for an upgrade. You will need a previous version of Windows installed on the computer if you want to install an upgrade version of Windows 7. Have a look at the upgrade chart that Eric Cross posted here.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Hi AnnMarie Hope you are well etc

Thats a useful chart thank you

I suppose my best bet is to clean install on my W7 RC drive, as I don't particularly want to lose Vista just yet, even though I have found it a bit problematical.

To further complicate things, I have a 3rd drive which has my copy of Vista Ultimate on it which I had to relegate to the sidelines because it is only 32-bit and my fairly new PC is 64-bit. Can I use that drive instead and (reluctantly) pass my Vista Ultimate on to one of the kids for instance? Or even upgrade my laptop which has Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate (which I really like)?

I do make things complicated for myself but I just cant resist the new stuff
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
I have a 3rd drive which has my copy of Vista Ultimate on it which I had to relegate to the sidelines because it is only 32-bit and my fairly new PC is 64-bit. Can I use that drive instead and (reluctantly) pass my Vista Ultimate on to one of the kids for instance? Or even upgrade my laptop which has Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate (which I really like)?
Julie perhaps I have misunderstood what you are saying but if you are purchasing an upgrade edition, you cant reinstall the operating system you have used to qualify for the upgrade on another machine.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM

Its probably me thats got it all wrong lol. I think I see what you're saying now. So which ever of my OS's I upgrade, that one has to stay in order for me to be able to use W7 and as I can't use the W7 RC for the purpose of an upgrade, I have to use the drive with Vista HP on it?

Its the word 'upgrade' that has confused me I think, because from what I understand, a clean install is also possible with an upgrade disc. Im fine whichever way I have to do it, I just want to do it right

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurestLight
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600
you can...

Sorry Im being so dim about this