Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Windows Vista Ultimate Problems

To whom ever it may concern,

My system:
3 ghz HT single core intel processor
asus p5n32 sli deluxe board
2 gig ocz ddr2 5400 (667)
256 mb ati radeon x800xl
120 gig seagate hard drive (sata, 7200 rpm)
460 watt enermax psu
Sony dvd burner

When i built this computer, i originally loaded windows xp pro for the os. everything was fine, no lag perfectley seemless. A couple days ago, i upgraded my system to vista ultimate and everything went hay wire. It takes an extremely long time to install programs and sometimes when my computer is just idling (i.e im just listening to music...nothing processor intensive) my monitoring software tells me that my cpu usage is around the 95%-100% range and it stays there for long periods of time. Also, when my computer is idling, it lags when i try to scroll through menus and stuff like that. Another problem that i have noticed is that when i try to use web conferencing with my friends over windows live messenger using a webcam, my cpu usage goes up to 100% and stays there until i have finished the call. if i try to listen to music, do anything else or have any other programs running, my computer freezes up and i need to restart. None of this happened when i was running xp pro and before someone says that maybe my computer does not meet the requirements for vista, my computer far surpasses the requirments because they are: 1 ghz cpu, 1 gig of ram and 128 mb graphics card. i trump every category. If anyone knows what i should do, please respond to this. any help would be greatly appreciated.

sincerely,
zg56789
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Was this a CLEAN install or an UPGRADE install?

Quote:
None of this happened when i was running xp pro and before someone says that maybe my computer does not meet the requirements for vista
Did not even cross my mind.

Our systems are similar and my vista runs fine, I will admit I have tweaked things a bit. I can also confirm since I dual boot XP and Vista there is a preformance hit between the two but not like you describe.

I love my Vista install and only boot into XP to run a few programs that don't work with Vista.

Last edited by Porthos; July 24th, 2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what programs are you running in the background? If you installed anything thats not vista compatible, it could mess with your cpu usage.
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Porthos: It was a clean install. I formatted my hard drive completely before installing vista. I used the formatting options that the vista setup disc gave me.

renegade600: Everything on my computer is 100% vista comaptible. I had to spend a lot of time running around to different sites downloading the updated drivers for my hardware and software. As for programs: AIM, windows live messenger, office 2007, skype, itunes/quicktime, flash, shockwave, logitech quick cam orbit mp, and thats basically it...im trying to keep this computer as clean as i can.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:40 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Are these the Video Drivers your using?
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/v...n-vista32.html

Also what version of Direct X??? Vista should use
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Have you checked Control Panal>Performance Information and Tools??
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Murf: i am using all the latest drivers for my graphics card. I am using direct x 9.0 c. i cant use direct x 10 because i do not have a graphics card that will support it.
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Appears either you had a corrupt install, or something is running in the background eating your resources. Obviously, your system far exceeds the Vista requirements. I would be interested in what the Performance scores are, as I suggested earlier. This may tell you where the problem is.

Also in control panel Problem Reports and Solutions may give you a indication.