Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM

CD-Rom drives disappear! Registry "solution" not working

For uknown reasons, both of the CD-rom drives in my computer disappeared last night. If I uninstall the "Secondary IDE Channel" and then search for new hardware, both of the CD-rom drives show up, although not fully functional. After a restart, both of the CD-rom drives disappear, and I have to repeat the steps above to even get some CD-rom drive functionality.

For solutions, I have tried the "registry" solution. That solution was attempted by using the vbs script http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

Any other possible solutions would be greatly appreciated, although I have to warn I am not extremely computer literate, so I might request detailed instructions.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome

Have you installed any software or drivers, specifically for Wireless adaptors?

What is the error message in Device manager?

Have you tried a System Restore to before the problems?
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM

No, I haven't.

The error in the Device Manager is only for the Secondary IDE Channel, and reads "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

In terms of a System Restore, I didn't have any restore dates from before the problem because I've never used or even known about the function, unfortunately.
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Just incase, try this fix from Kellys-Korner.
It should do the same as the one from Doug Knox's site, but you never know. It may be slightly different.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...cd_dvd_fix.vbs

Reboot after.

If that doesn't help try the advice here
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:19 PM

One of the proposed fixes is to change the transfer mode from DMA to whatever other option there is. The other option is "PIO Only". Would you recommend changing that?
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Do you know what kind of motherboard chipset you have? Reloading the PCI chipset drivers is a good place to start.

Check out this link from Intel. The Device Manager procedure will give you the info even if your chipset is Nvidia, Via, etc.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009245.htm
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaman1 View Post
One of the proposed fixes is to change the transfer mode from DMA to whatever other option there is. The other option is "PIO Only". Would you recommend changing that?
NO ... you want DMA or Ultra DMA ... PIO is not good, this is slow and unwieldy.

Were both drives working ok previously ? ..... did you by any chance install any new Burning software, like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools perhaps ?