Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:50 AM

Windows 7 Not Starting - Need Help

Hello, before I start I would like to let you know that I know about some things with computers but I know almost nothing about harddrive and boot up problems. In the past week or so I have been getting an I/O device error whenever I tried installing a game or program(not sure if relevant to the problem). Today I had to hard shutdown my computer many times because it kept freezing. I updated iTunes and had to restart to apply changes, when it restarted it ran a disc check before windows started, I walked away and when I came back it was at a screen that said Windows failed to start, I have tried both options many times either Launch Startup Fixer or Start Windows normally. Both option lead me to a black screen with my cursor which is about three times its normal size. I have a Windows 7 reinstallation disc but I have no idea how to use it without Windows not working. Does anyone have an advice on what I should do.

Edit: Ok after 20 minutes of sitting at the screen with the large cursor the Startup Repair came up and is Searching for problems. I would still like some advice incase this repair doesn't work.

Last edited by Shagen; January 6th, 2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Change in situation
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:44 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

If that does not work you boot from the Windows 7 CD/DVD. The 1st boot device must be set in BIOS SETUP to CDROM. You access your BIOS SETUP by hitting a key when the 1st screen comes up. Usually it tells you which key to hit, as each computer is different. Generally it is the DEL or a "F" key depending on the brand of the computer.

Once in SETUP find a menu item that talks about boot order and set the 1st boot device to CDROM, save and exit with the Windows 7 CD/DVD in, it should come up and say hit any key to boot from CD, you hit any key doesn't matter which one. Windows 7 comes up follow the menu and get to the menu that will have something like the following on it.

Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery
Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt

Select "Startup Repair"
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM

I tried that, I had no option to boot from CD. The Startup repair ran for 12 hours but didnt do anything. I think i might have to wipe the hdd
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:04 PM

Make and model of the computer?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:50 PM

Toshiba Satellite L655. I also tried to access the hidden partition with the Windows Reinstallation and I was unsuccessful.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:43 AM

Hold down the F2 key and then power-on the computer should get you into SETUP.

User Manual

See if you can set the CDROM as the first boot device save and exit.

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Ok, I have tried this before. Before the error screen that says Windows cant Start I get this error: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I press any key and it displays the same error.

Would this work?: My friend has external hard drives and hard drive transfer cables to save my files, should I just have him wipe my hard drive and reinstall windows?
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:47 AM

Before any re installation you need to check that drive, it appears there are errors on it.

Windows 7 re installation disc was this a disc you made on the computer itself, or one that came with it.

hidden partition probably contains Windows 7 that was installed at the factory. It is used to restore the laptop to the way it was when new. Generally you hit a "F" key when booting to enter restore. But that would wipe out everything.

If you can use the external drive, you should be able to access the drive and get everything off of it, you need. (you cannot just copy programs as they must be reinstalled). Once you get what you want, while it is in the external drive, run CHKDSK on it, maybe correct any errors it finds.

I would first try rebooting, when 1st screen comes up start tapping the "F8" key to get to the Advance Boot Options menu

Select "Repair your Computer" see if it runs through, if that doesn't work same menu select "safe Mode with Command Prompt" once at the prompt type the following:

chkdsk c: /r (hit enter)
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:07 AM

The Windows Reinstallation disc was given to me by a friend. I am not 100% sure if it has the same version of Windows 7 as I have.

When I hit the F8 key the computer just beeps alot.
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
I tried that, I had no option to boot from CD.
There will be an option to have the CD-Rom as the first boot device. All BIOS have that option.

Different Motherboards will have different keys to access the Bios but you can get some general indications of the key combinations here.

Here's some general instructions for changing the boot order.

You will need to adjust the BIOS settings on your laptop so that it boots from CDROM rather than using the Hard Drive, different Motherboards will have different keys to access the Bios but you can get some general indications of the key combinations here:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Here's some general instructions for changing the boot order:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/articles/bios/

Then boot from the CD, allow the Start Repair to run. If it says it made changes (Startup Repairs run from the DVD are more likely to succeed), and needs to reboot, then by all means do that.

If not, you'll have to follow these steps, as far as accessing the Command Prompt.

-------

Then you'll have to ID the Windows partition. Handiest way I know is just to type in:

c:

And press Enter. Then type dir and press Enter. See if the Windows and Users folder are on that drive (the drive lettering in the Repair Console are different than in normal Windows).

If no folders, try d: and then dir.

Once you have ID'd the correct partition, type:

chkdsk /r

And press Enter. You should get a message saying the drive is mounted, and be asked to dismount it. Agree to that, then let chkdsk run. Once it finishes type exit and press Enter, then reboot the system.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:21 AM

I have tried this. The BIOS is accessed by hitting F12 and entering setup. The BIOS is called InsydeH2O Setup Utility. I changed the boot order to CDROM and the screen after the Toshiba logo still said No bootable device -- please insert disc
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:16 AM

Return to Setup. Check, I think, under Advanced, and post back here what options it has for hard drives there (SATA, PATA for example).
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:39 AM

The disc I had wasn't working, I gave the laptop to a friend, he used one of his discs and reinstalled Windows. My problem is fixed, thanks for all the advice and help.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:53 AM

Thanks for posting back the update. Be well.