Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:55 AM

invalid security certificate, maybe a virus?

Hi all....

I have a laptop that's brand new..about 2 months old. I t worked perfectly when I first bought it and has win 7 Home Basic.

Until about 3 weeks ago, I started to get this SSL certificate error every time I log in to Facebook....

login.facebook.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:
a248.e.akamai.net , *.akamaihd.net

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

That happens on ALL browsers. Normally, when I leave the computer alone, it will generally start to work again, letting me login to facebook, etc. I dont see much help at all al over the internet as to how to fix this issue, so am hoping that y'all will.

Perhaps a virus? I have already reformatted and it still happens. I tought maybe it gets too hot so when it cools down, it start to work again but still that shouldnt be the case.

Any and all help is appreciated ;-)
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Gunz. No it's not a virus. Check that the time and date on your laptop is accurate.
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:40 PM

yes, I"ve done that and the time and date are perfect. The weird thing is, it only happens intermittently through the course of the day and fixes itself....any other ideas?
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Facebook is always having issues and the problem is most likely at their end. Try cleaning out the Cache on your browsers. Go here and download ATF cleaner. Use it to remove all Temp Files, Cookies and Temp Internet Files, History, Java Cache and any others that you would like to remove. If you also use Opera or Firefox, also click on the cleaning options for each browser.