Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old October 29th, 2020, 08:56 PM

Bad Beer

I'm convinced that the entire world has fallen into the trap of equating expensive and/or novel and/or freakish with good.

It is part of the phenomenon people being sanctimonious such that they can disregard science and go without a mask, and people being sanctimonious such that they can play God by dispensing life and death and regulating others' behavior by means of carrying a concealed weapon.

Here it is: My wife and I saw friends we had not seen since the pandemic struck, meeting them at a so-called Gastropub.

I ordered an expensive beer from an Indiana company called 3 Floyds and honestly it was terrible. I mean horrible. Basically it was a fairly strong beer like a Becks cut with grapefruit juice, which I hate, and of which there was no mention on the menu.

I looked it up later on a forum called Beer Advocate, and apparently other people liked it despite tasting the grapefruit, but it was such a specialty site that I bet it is just filled with the tiny minority of weirdos who enjoy weird bad beer and then reviewing them because they don't have anything else going for them rather than us regular Joes, making it hardly authoritative or scientific.

Nevertheless, it seems like there are plenty of people out there impressed with themselves and the hole that money burns in their pockets to buy ultra expensive food, tea, wine, and so on whose strongest point seems to be that they were made in weird ways, maybe stored without refrigeration, brewed with rusty nails, fermented with insects, and so on.

Some chef was once asked how he knew the steaks were aged enough. He said when he started having to flick the maggots off with his fingers.

We went to a vineyard for a tour and tasting, and were told to avoid wine with grapeskins, as it is cheap and poorly made. Then I had to pick the skin out of my glass of their $50 a bottle wine.

If you are buying into expensive being any better or healthier, I've got a bridge for sale in NYC.

Last edited by Total Noob; October 29th, 2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 30th, 2020, 05:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Noob View Post
I'm convinced that the entire world has fallen into the trap of equating expensive and/or novel and/or freakish with good.
Couldn't agree with you more, consider the wine buffs, some of the stuff they rave about is revolting, ditch water would be better. Just too many snobs with too much money, out there.
Old November 4th, 2020, 12:14 PM

I cant stand the taste of beer!! (uugghh)