Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old July 9th, 2020, 07:25 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Windows 10’s May 2020 Update

Did they get the bugs out of the Windows 10’s May 2020 Update already?

Thanks
Old July 10th, 2020, 03:47 PM

May? All I can say is all my systems are fully updated and running great.

It should be noted, even when there are bugs and "HUGE" uproars from some in the IT media and other Microsoft/Windows bashers (and their followers), the number of affected computers is "tiny" when looking at the whole picture.

The problem is, with nearly 1 Billion W10 users out, even if just 1/10th of 1% have problems, that's still 1 million upset users. And 1 million upset users can make a lot of noise, especially when that noise is amplified, repeated, amplified again, and repeated again - over and over again in forums and blogs by those who don't trust MS, and by attention seeking members of the IT media who tend to exaggerate and sensationalize the problem.

The reality is, the number of affected computers in May was, and typically is even less than 1/10th of 1%! And note that means more than 99.9% have no problems and for sure, a 99.9% success rate is considered exceptional in just about any industry.

It is critical to remember that keeping our computers updated is one of the most important security steps we, as users, can take to ensure our systems (and families) remain safe and secure. So since the risk of Windows Update problems really are extremely low, and benefits of keeping our systems current are so high, I advise to update our systems on a timely basis, and to keep them current.

If you really are afraid something might break, there is a setting in Windows Update to pause for 7 days so you can listen for any fallout. If none, then update.

But for me, my family, friends, and clients, I always just let Windows Update automatically, and I recommend others do the same. The odds it will all go well are hugely in your favor.

FTR, in the last 5 years since W10 came out, I have never, not once, had a Windows Update brick any of my computers, or any that I am responsible for. Typically, on the few occasions there were problems, a simple reboot (sometimes two reboots) cleared it.

The worst case scenario required me to do a "cold" reboot. That is, I had to shut down the computer and flip the master power switch on the back of the power supply to Off (or “0”) for about 15 seconds to remove all ATX required +5Vsb standby voltages from all points on the motherboard. Removing that +5Vsb standby voltage ensures all hardware settings are reset and all data being held in RAM is totally purged.

After 15 seconds, I flipped the master power switch back to On ("1"), booted up and all was good again. Note, if your power supply does not have a master power switch, simply unplug from the wall. If a notebook unplug and remove the battery.
Old July 10th, 2020, 06:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
IMO, some computers are still blocked by microsoft from updating for whatever reason. if your computer is not block and can update, then you should have no problems. I updated four dual boots and the only problems I had was it broke the linux boot on a couple of computers. three of the computers originally came with win7.
Old July 11th, 2020, 04:27 PM

Blocked by Microsoft? Please explain. And please include links that you are basing your opinion on.

I have found no evidence that Microsoft is "blocking" updates for any current Microsoft OS. If an OS has been superseded and is no longer supported (see Windows lifecycle fact sheet), then updates are no longer being developed for those versions. It is not like they are being developed, then blocked.

There may, however, be legacy (old, antiquated, obsolete and superseded) hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturer. That is, the manufacturer is no longer maintaining or developing current drivers and, consequently, that hardware no longer supports the latest versions of Windows. But that is not Microsoft's fault the manufacturers are trying to push their old hardware customers into buying new hardware.
Old July 11th, 2020, 09:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Blocked by Microsoft? Please explain. And please include links that you are basing your opinion on.

I have found no evidence that Microsoft is "blocking" updates for any current Microsoft OS. If an OS has been superseded and is no longer supported (see Windows lifecycle fact sheet), then updates are no longer being developed for those versions. It is not like they are being developed, then blocked.

There may, however, be legacy (old, antiquated, obsolete and superseded) hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturer. That is, the manufacturer is no longer maintaining or developing current drivers and, consequently, that hardware no longer supports the latest versions of Windows. But that is not Microsoft's fault the manufacturers are trying to push their old hardware customers into buying new hardware.
do your own search, there are plenty of links out there. and some surface models are reportedly still blocked. nothing to do with eol.

Last edited by renegade600; July 11th, 2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old July 12th, 2020, 05:22 PM

Nah! If you can't back your claim, forget it. I'll stick with mine. And just note I said, "current" Microsoft OS. Even some versions of W10 are not "current".
Old July 12th, 2020, 07:05 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...04-is-blocked/

https://www.laptopmag.com/news/windo...ce-on-the-list

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...ettings-issue/
Old July 12th, 2020, 07:16 PM

And each of those talk about compatibility issues. Microsoft does not want people to upgrade if their computers are not compatible. And I think that is the right path for surely they would be relentlessly chastised if the upgrade failed, bricking the machines.

Maybe I misunderstood Renegade's initial comments although (1) I did ask for clarification and (2) I did say legacy products may no longer be supported suggesting they are not compatible.

I took the comment as though MS was being accused (again) of some malicious act. If that was not the intent, then my bad and I apologize for taking it the wrong way and for any further misunderstandings.
Old July 12th, 2020, 07:24 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
Thumbs up

Understood, and Thanks!