Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion > Comments & Suggestions

Notices

Comments & Suggestions Have a comment or suggestion to make about Cyber Tech Help ?

View Poll Results: 'Would it make things a little easier if we had a seperate forum for dealing with HJT
Definately yes 8 47.06%
Possibly yes 2 11.76%
Definately No 6 35.29%
Possible No 0 0%
Don't know 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Topic Tools
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Cyber Safety Forum and HJT Logs - Suggestion

Hi everyone.

I have a suggestion for you to vote and comment upon.

'Would it make things a little easier if we had a seperate forum for dealing with HJT logs?'

I believe it would because of the number of 'HiJack This Logs' that appear all over the boards. Having one forum relating to HJT would help members as to where to post the logs and concentrate the logs hopefully in one place.

I believe that this would also assist in preventing some posts becoming 'unanswered topics' and make it easier for members to search for a problem that may have already been resolved, because it is in the one place.

The Cyber Safety forum could then concentrate on virus's, spyware, trojans etc. and if the problem was not resolved the member could be asked to post the HJT log in the new forum and hopefully the HJT experts would know that everything that could be done prior to posting the log had been done.

If you agree then the sticky of AnnMarie re what to do prior to posting a log could be placed as the lead sticky in the new forum.

What do you think?

Please vote.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I think that is a great idea. I agree, the number of HJT logs that appear on this forum on a daily basis is astounding and they should all be kept in the same place. That would make users with similar problems have less trouble finding a solution without having to post a thread that was just posted a day or two prior, in other words, improve the helpfulness of CTH and decrease the number of similar posts.

Also, I feel that it would make the site seem much more organized, especially to new users and guests who see that there is a category in the forum that is so focussed on one particular, constantly reocurring problem.

I haven't read AnnMarie's sticky, but if there isn't already, a link should be placed inside where people can download HijackThis if they have not already. It'd be great to make new users feel like they got even more help than expected and refer any of their friends with computer problems to join and post on the forum here.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:36 PM
Malware Removal Team

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi,

I think that it would not be very useful for the users. I find that
each case is single. And for the beginner, it is very difficult to
copy its log on another. I find that that would make double employment
because each request for assistance is accompanied systematically by a
request for log.

(I don't speak and write very well english...I hope this can be understood.)

Cheers.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's when the thread would be moved to the HJT category so that it will be where it belongs.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

I disagree with this. the problem is you will be splitting threads since alot of times a hjt log is a small part of the total overall answer. Either the person asking the question does not know that one is needed or the person helping just want to verify the log is clean/and or not the problem before continuing with the another course of action.

Having to go back and forth between threads would be a pain. True you could always move the whole thread to one forum but that means more work for the moderators who would have to do the moving because I would not want to tell the visitor sorry we cannot help you until you rewrite your message in another forum.

I guess I am saying is to leave things the way it is - there will be less confusion - especially since there is already a sticky to post all hjt logs in the safety forum.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

I understand what you are saying Dan but HJT logs are appearing in most of the forums at this moment in time. People are not reading the sticky about where to post their logs and the majority are not reading AnnMaries's sticky re what to do before posting a log.

By having the HJT forum people would know that is where to post a HJT log.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

Well, it's not a sin if a few posts containing HJT logs are not in the HJT category, however, having a category just for HJT logs will give users a place to go if they just want their logs reviewed and the mods in this category would be specially chosen as the most qualified to work with HJT logs.

No one says that EVERY thread with a log MUST be moved to the HJT section of the forum, but those in which the log itself played a pivotal role in solving the users problem(s). This would ensure that anyone reading through the HJT section a better chance of finding a solution to their problem without having to post their own log and make more work for everyone, especially the mods.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Good idea. As it stands now, the logs are all over the place.
We need a good log man/woman to facilitate this smoothly.
BD.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
CTH Subscriber

There is already a forum for this!!! If you noticed the majority of the logs in other forums was asked for by the person trying to help.

IMO, things are working pretty good the way it is - no need for any changes.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
CTH Subscriber

addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600
There is already a forum for this!!! If you noticed the majority of the logs in other forums was asked for by the person trying to help.
I dont understand what you mean. Yeah, the person trying to help whoever it was that posted the thread fix their problems is usually the one to ask to see a log, but thats because the person with the problem either didn't think to post one to start, or has never even heard of HJT in the first place. I didn't know such a program existed until I signed up here. But if they posted their log, and someone told them what to "fix" in order to solve the specified problem, wouldn't it be nice to have the thread archived in a section where each user can be told whenever they have a problem with their log to check out and search through before posting yet another log? (breath) I just think that would help reduce the number of logs posted daily, because there are sooo many and therefore, IMO, HJT logs deserve their own section.

We will probably have to agree to disagree, but in the end, it's not up to us.

Vote YES on Proposition HJT!

Last edited by hypnotizeminds; November 3rd, 2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
I have to agree with Dan here. I see the majority of logs going to cybersecurity. Most of the other logs are requested. For the logs that are not requested, it is reasonable to move them to the CS forum.

The problem I see with forcing all the HJT logs into one forum, is that everytime you shift a user from one forum to another you risk losing them. We all know how it feels when we are dealing with a customer service organization and we here the dreaded words, 'Let me put you on hold while I transfer you...'.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

-z1p
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:00 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotizeminds
I dont understand what you mean. Yeah, the person trying to help whoever it was that posted the thread fix their problems is usually the one to ask to see a log, but thats because the person with the problem either didn't think to post one to start, or has never even heard of HJT in the first place. I didn't know such a program existed until I signed up here. But if they posted their log, and someone told them what to "fix" in order to solve the specified problem, wouldn't it be nice to have the thread archived in a section where each user can be told whenever they have a problem with their log to check out and search through before posting yet another log? (breath) I just think that would help reduce the number of logs posted daily, because there are sooo many and therefore, IMO, HJT logs deserve their own section.

We will probably have to agree to disagree, but in the end, it's not up to us.

Vote YES on Proposition HJT!
I absolutely will not tell someone they need to repost their problem in another forum because it might require a hjt log. It will not reduce the number of logs posted because every log is different and have a different set of problems.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

I never said REPOST it anywhere, the mods can MOVE it to where it belongs. But, whatever. I really don't care. You have heard my argument.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior T-Dog

No
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Lightbulb Surrogate Sub-Forum

I have an idea for the problem of threads in various forums that lead to HJT logs. How about creating a special HJT log surrogate thread sub-forum in the Cyber Safety forum or the HJT forum if one is created. The nature of the sub-forum would be that you can't just create a completely brand new thread in it. The idea is for the help needing thread starter from another forum to click a button (or something), accessable in their original thread, when told they should post a HJT log, creating a thread of the same name for posting the log into to be automatically made in the HJT sub-forum and a new post with a link to that sub-forum thread in the origional thread. People who can help analize the log will conveniently find it in the HJT sub-forum and the heart of the thread will still be in the other forum. Whether or not the HJT log helped can be posted in the origional thread and the exchange of posts can continue if it didn't. Perhaps putting a comment on whether the HJT log helped could be demanded, more or less, and a little reminder window could pop up when they log in.

The downside:
Whoever suggests making the log to the person in need may have to educate them as to how to find the button to click or whatever.
Someone will have to write the software for doing this.

Any other drawbacks?