Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Angry OK--I have one that really bites the big one!

Sorry--it is just that I am SO frustrated at this point, I can't even think straight--so I have walked away from it for patience sake, as the experts here say to do.
OK, here goes>>>
I have an older HP Pavilion 6643, 500 MHz, 128 Ram, CDrom and Floppy drive. Not much, but enough for what I need. Great gigabytes hard drive, but I forget now--I think it has a 20 GB HD. WAS running the original Windows 98.
Now, the woman that I bought it from for 50 bucks had it SO jammed with Trojans, yadda yadda, that I finally decided that my best bet would be best to simply (since at that point even the 2 HP Recovery Disks weren't working), go do a wipe, so I deleted and noticed right there in Fdisk that the primary drive--C was only using 13% of it's ability, anyway, I formatted like the forum states. Nothing. It wouldn't let me put an OS in.
I RE-DID what I had done with the Fdisk thinking I had done something to piss the PC off, and found that NOW the active partition/Primary drive was only using 7% of its capacity.
OK, I formatted, then I found in BIOS that it was not set to USER and therefore the numbers were messed up, like 16 would be 13 heads,cylinders,whatever, so I set it to default like the experts here say to do.
ANYWAY, now the stupid thing just comes up with a blank screen saying, "Non System Disk , Press any key to restart" You can do this a few times and realize that the same message is coming back up. All I want is to stick my Windows 98 back in. There ARE NO disks placed in the drives and it doesn't matter if you try and use a boot 98 disk, or nothing in any of the movable drives. CAN somebody help me please???? HP site is useless since this PC is rather outdated.
Thanks in advance to ANYONE who is actually strong enough within to read this!!! Luv, Trish
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hello Trish,

This problem is quite easy to solve, I'm going to help you with this problem as good as possible.

You qouted in your message that you used an Windows 98 bootdisk to open fdisk, Now, First you need to reboot your system with the Boot Disk inserted.

1) At the A: prompt start "FDISK."
2) If asked to use Large Disc support say Yes.
3) The first screen looks like this:
  • Create Dos Partition or Logical Drive
  • Set Active Partition
  • Delete Partitions or Logical DOS Drives
  • Display Partition Information

You stated in your message that you used Fdisk before so all of your data is alreally lost and it will be an hard job to restore the files. They simply lost.

4) Next we need to remove the existing partitions. So go to menu 3.
5) Next screen like this:
  • Delete Primary DOS
  • Delete Extended DOS
  • Delete Logical Drives
  • Delete Non-DOS

Delete always in the following order: Logical (All) > Extended > Primary (Last)
6) Go back to first screen after all partitions have been removed.
7) Now we need to setup our new partitions. Go to menu 1.
This screen looks like this:
  • Create Primary DOS
  • Create Extended DOS
  • Create Logical DOS Drives

Here we create in the following order: Primary > Extended > Logical Drives.

8) First create the Primary. If asked to use all space. It should be set automatically to be the (only) Active partition. If not it may ask you or you have to select "2. Set active partition" from the main menu, Now reboot the computer and let it boot from the bootdisk, Now insert your Windows 98 Setup CD and let it start the setup.

I hope I made no mistakes explain this to you since this is a long time ago!

Let me know if it worked, Thanks. Rick.
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Trish, this is straight from HP, (what redapple pretty much already said):

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Recovering the System after the Hard Drive Is Replaced

Quote:
This document applies to HP and Compaq desktop PCs with Microsoft(R) Windows 98, Me, and XP.

This document describes how to reinstall all system and program files on an HP PC that had the main hard drive replaced....
And good for you for still having your recovery discs.
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Here's the original specs for the HP 6643.
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Smile Thanks all!

Hi--I needed SO much help,and you all pitched in, and I am so touched that I am actually crying here. I'm going to do all of these steps this afternoon--and will write the results! God Bless you all!!!~~Trish
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Question No Idea...

OK, somehow all I could get INTO this PC was an original Windows 95 that I had. It would not allow me to insert the 98 because it kept saying that there was an invalid system disk error and press any key to restart--that included me trying the restore Cds. OK, so here I am with Win 95. I am trying to install Win 98 , and all I get is "This is not a valid Win32 program". SO, how do I convert or get around this, so the system will allow me to install 98?
Any ideas? Thanks all!!~~Trish
Old January 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM

So '95 went in and 98SE didn't? I wonder if the woman you bought it from gave you the right recovery set, or what kind of shape they're in.

Here's another checklist from HP's site.

Concerning the shape of those discs, there's a scandisc tool that you can use to check them out.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html

It's called Nero CD-DVD Speed, the first download on the page. It's zipped, so if you don't have a zip program, go here:

http://www.7-zip.org/

I personally like 7zip because it has a right-click menu that's very easy to understand. And you can at least unzip the occasional RAR's.

When you unzip the Nero tool, you'll find that it's a standalone program, meaning it has no installer. You just double-click it to run it, and close it when you're done. Click on the scandisc tab, and assuming you have two drives and the correct one is selected, the drive will spin up and read the table of contents, and then you hit start. Hopefully you won't see anything like this, but all green.

If everything's green, then we'll have to dig further. I have to state the obvious, that invalid system disk pops up sometimes when you leave a floppy in the drive upon a restart, so make double sure you've removed it, if any..

ADDENDA:

Concerning the invalid system disk message, what kind of boot disk are you using? You can get a boot disk here:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Last edited by JoJo Gunn; January 5th, 2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: addenda
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM

Hi--I was using a 98C bootdisk from bootdisks.com? OK--I'll have to check it all out. Thxs,Trish
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM

That should work. Just remember to take it out before you put in the first recovery CD and restart.
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM

I tried the Nero Test and the recovery Cd's were fine. I got the new 98 bootdisks and tried to start the PC with that and pulled it out, with the recovery disks in place, but I lost my CD drive.I'm screwed. Thxsss,Trish
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Can you be more specific as to how you lost the CD drive?
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Smile Hey JoJo! We DID IT!

OK, how I lost my cd drive is that I thought,and then DID>>>When all else fails set the BIOS to default"--BUT, I sat and thought for a second while taking a break from it, this harddrive has been upgraded so the default settings are not applicable, SOOOOOOOO, I went back into BIOS after a new re-format, and switched the HD settings from "Auto" to "User", restarted it, used the new 98SE bootdisk, pulled it out, and in went the 2 Recovery Disks! THANK YOU JOJO! You made me think of all of this and you stuck by me! Thanks also for that neat cd tool! I DEEPLY appreciate all of this--God Bless YOU! That puppy is looking brand new because of you! Thankss, Trish
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:24 AM

Thumbs up Thanks RedApple too!!!

Thanks too for your precise method--I used that and it helped a LONG WAY! Thanks so much!!!~~~Trish
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Another winner, how 'bout that!

Glad to be of help. And bless you too.