Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 3rd, 2001, 02:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Windows Tips and Tricks.

Post some or all of your Windows Tips and tricks.

Heres one I thought would help people with Smaller Hard drives....

Windows 98 automatically reserves 10% of each drive on your system to use as a holding area for files that you throw in the recycle bin. On a 2 gigabyte hard drive, that equates to 200 Mb of disk space reserved for discarded files, but you can free up some of that space.

1) Right click the "Recycle Bin" icon on the Windows 98 desk top.
2) Select"Properties" from the drop down menu.
3) Move the sliding scale control from 10% to 3%.
4) Click the "Apply" button.
5) Click the "OK" button.

How much space you free up depends on the size of your hard drive, but on a 2 gigabyte drive, you will have reclaimed 140 megabytes.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 03:01 AM

Here's one I use all the time, for Forums.

You click on a thread, you reply to it. Some time later you refresh the forum and find a thread you replied in (because the usual blueish print of the topic name is now darker than the ones you have not visited), has gotten a reply.
Now what if you went into 6 threads, and only replied in the one, and the other 5 you didn't like/too long/whatever. But you don't remember exactly which of the 6 you replied in. You now find all 6 have moved up the list from replies. Which one do you go in? Since all 6 are "discolored" showing you were in them, you have to go into each of them again until you find the right one. A hassle. Boy, what IF you could just undo going into those other 5, so you see only the one you replied to? You CAN. After you go into a thread that sucks/bores you/confuses you/whatever, and you don't want to waste your time going into it again later trying to enter another thread you want to go back into (but forgot which one(s)), just hit the "History" button on your IE Toolbar. The page you are on (thread you wish you didn't go in) should already be hi-lighted. Now right-click that and choose "Delete". You get the stupid warning message, then click OK. Now when you go back to the forum page, the thread list will NOT have the title color changed. Guess you didn't go in there

Now this is great for those who go into a lot of threads and reply in a couple or so but forget exactly which ones because there were too many threads that you go in. Using the forums (most forums have this) "new post since last visit" thing, you can easily see a discolored thread that has made it's way into the group of threads with new posts.

This is not so hot for those who do not post, but just read. You would want the History to be kept so you don't revisit a thread again that you already read. After many posts at another forum, and some other places and here, I find I like the History removal trick for what I do a lot. On occasion I will pop into a thread I was in before because I removed the History of my visit before, but I am not into reading every thread, just ones that I think I may help or learn something I may be interested in.

That little trick may help some of you "regulars".

------------------

Another trick I use because I don't have any cookie blocker programs installed at this time is..... when I go to a site that loads unwanted cookies, I just right-click "Properties" the offending cookie in C:\WINDOWS|Cookies and copy the URL (ie - www.doubleclick.com) using *.doubleclick.com by putting that in the "Restricted sites" box in IE's Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Zone/Custom Level. Now I can return to that site later with my cookies still on, and not get that offending cookie again. This only stops the cookies, not the Temporary Internet files from getting a gif, etc. from that same offender, or the History zone may still show an entry (I get a Doubleclick entry on mine because another user here clicks on an ad at the Bingo site to get free bingo $ (yes she clicks them ads )

These are my favorite multi-site browsing tricks.

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: Zaratul ]
Old September 3rd, 2001, 03:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

Good Idea Zaratul.

How about Tweaking Win/98. I here this question alot. Here are a few Ideas on how to tweak your Puter...

1. Start by deleting the Junk out of the system. One good way is by getting a good Uninstaller program. I use McAfee uninstaller. It cost about $9.99 US at Wal-Mart. Nortons has a good program called Cleansweep Deluxe, but it cost around $50.00. Both work great and will clean out Useless files that you do not need and can save you alot of Disk Space and speed up the Hard drive....

2. Clean the Registry. McAffee is great for that also. Very user friendly. The Windows Registry is a database of all your system's settings and software. Whenever a Windows 95 or 98 program is installed, removed, or modified, Windows updates the Registry to reflect the change--or, at least, that's how it's supposed to work.

Real life is less tidy. System crashes, buggy uninstall programs, and plain old bad luck can clutter your Registry, leaving it full of improper associations, bogus lists of installed programs, and all sorts of other junk that can slow down and even crash your operating system.

If you really know what you're doing, you can clean the Registry with RegEdit (the Windows Registry editor). For most users, though, I suggest a safer alternative: Microsoft's RegClean, McAfee, or Nortons. These programs hunt down and remove bogus Registry entries automatically. It can also reverse any changes you make and restore your previous Registry if something goes wrong. Most uninstallers, such as McAfee, CleanSweep, also clean your Registry--and they do a better job than the free RegClean. Make a routine of cleaning the Registry, and Windows 98 will run faster and be more reliable.

3. If you have more fonts than you really use, you're wasting precious disk space. To find out how many fonts are on your system, open the Fonts Control Panel (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Fonts). There you'll find a list of all your installed fonts. Double-click a font's name to get copyright info and file size, as well as an example of what the font looks like at sizes up to 72 points. Delete any unnecessary fonts, and you'll free up a bunch of disk space.

4. Removing data from your system leaves empty spaces on your hard drive. When Windows saves new data, it fills in these cracks, often splitting up files and thus increasing the amount of time it takes to access that file. To help reorganize your hard drive into continuous chunks and consequently speed up system performance, Microsoft includes a defragmenting program in its OSs. The Windows 98 defrag utility is better than its predecessors. It records the way Windows accesses files when you run a program, then reorganizes those files to fit how Windows works. For example, it organizes files sequentially, in the order Windows reads them, and places your most frequently accessed programs on the fastest parts of your disk. The end result? A speed boost for all your programs, and a bigger boost for your favorites.

5.Go Easy on Video
If your screen redraws slowly or you experience other video glitches, your video card may be working too hard. Some video cards claim to offer screen resolutions and color depths they can't actually support. If you think your card might be maxed out, try bumping down the color depth or screen resolution a notch in the Display Control Panel (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Display), or right-click the desktop and choose Properties. Unless you're a graphic designer, you probably won't notice the difference between 32-bit true color and 16-bit high color, anyway.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 04:04 AM

WinME's defrag is better than Win98's. Many download it and use that instead.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 04:44 AM

My best advice is to create a folder called "To Delete". Then move stuff that you're not sure if it's OK to delete to that folder. If you're still doing fine after a week or so, then go ahead and delete. This tip is very useful for people who, for example, randomly go around deleting fonts ( ).
Old September 3rd, 2001, 04:52 AM
CTH Subscriber

Another one is Adding a Recycle Bin to a Partition or 2nd HD. Go to Start/Run/ Type Recycle C: to add one to the C: drive or Type Recycle D: for d: drive etc... That way you can just drag and drop files and folders in any HD or Partition....
Old September 3rd, 2001, 04:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

TIP--- Changing file associations

Occasionally when you install a new graphics program, you will notice that it will steal all the file associations from your existing programs. The result is that when you click on your pix, they open in the "wrong" program. Here is how to change them back.

Locate a file you want to open and click once to highlight it.
Now press the shift key and right-click on that file... then click "open with"
When new window opens, find the program you want as your viewer and select it.
To make this program default, also check the "always use this program..." box
Hit OK and the files should now open in the viewer you selected.

TIP--- Change text size in Explorer with Wheel-mouse

If you want to quickly change the text size didplayed in your browser and are using a wheel-mouse, just hold down the "Ctrl" key and scroll the wheel on you mouse. Text can be enlarged or reduced, depending on which direction you scroll.

TIP--- Stop deletion confirmation dialog box

Don't you just hate that confirm deletion box that pops up every time that you drag or send something to the recycle bin? Well here is how to put a stop to it:

1. Right-click on recycle bin
2. Choose properties
3. Uncheck the box "display delete confirmation dialog box"
4. Click OK

That will do it. Now when you put a file in the recycle bin, it will go peacefully and without an argument.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 06:53 AM
Garfield Fanatic

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Here is a few more "SendTo" tricks from TechTV.

1.) Hold down the Windows Button + E (or double-click the My Computer icon) and click on your drive where Windows is installed.
Open the Windows folder by double-clicking it.

Warning: Don't delete or play with any of these files or folders within the Windows folder unless you know what you're doing or are instructed to do so.

2.) Find the Send To folder, right-click it and choose "create shortcut."

3.) Now, single-click the shortcut you just created and press CTRL + X. You just Cut the folder.

4.) Next, double-click the Send To folder to open it up. Once it's opened, hit CTRL + V to paste the shortcut inside the Send To folder and you're done.

5.) By doing this, all you have to do now is right click on a shortcut and send it to the SendTo folder.

Follow these steps to add a printer to the Send To menu.

1.) Single-click the Start menu, mouse over Settings, and select Printers from the list.

2.) Right-click your printer's icon inside the Printers folder and select "Create Shortcut" from the menu.

3.) You will then be asked if it's OK for the shortcut to be placed on the desktop. Single-click the "Yes" button.

4.) Go to your desktop and find the newly placed shortcut to your printer.

5.) Select the new shortcut by single-clicking on it. Once it's highlighted, hold down and release the CTRL key + X at the same time. (This will "Cut" the shortcut to be placed inside the Send To menu.)

6.) Open up My Computer from your desktop and select the drive where Windows is installed.

7.) Open up the Windows folder and double-click the Send To folder.

8.) Hold down and release the CTRL key + V at the same time to "Paste" the new printer shortcut inside the Send To folder.

Now all you have to do to print a document is to send it to the printer. This eliminates having to open the document at all. It is also useful when printing more than one document.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also put notepad, word, frontpage, paint, and adobe photoshop in my sendto folder. This way, if I want to open a text file in Wword all I do is right click on the file and send it to Word. Word will open and display the text file. The thing applies to .gifs, & .jpegs. Send To is a very nifty tool.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 08:47 PM

Don't know if this will be acceptable here, and if not, delete and flame me for it! Found it while surfing, and printed it for my own reference. Don't let the name of the site scare you. Hope it's ok. Just want to give something back after all the help you gave me!!
http://hackingtruths.box.sk/untold.htm
Old September 3rd, 2001, 10:41 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Here's a few good tips.
Old September 3rd, 2001, 10:44 PM
CTH Subscriber

dickster, that site is just fine. It only talks about Reg Hacks, tips and tricks. I found nothing wrong with it. Thanks for post that, alot of useful information there.

Hacking is against Forum rules only When you talk about Hacking into others computers etc. Doing Reg Hacks isn't. So it is just fine.....
Old September 4th, 2001, 02:57 AM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Oh yeah, here's another one.
Old September 4th, 2001, 04:44 AM

Damn!! Glad I could give something back. Everybody here has tried to help me, so tried to contribute!!

P.S Hacking is only wrong if you go in to do damage. People give it a bad name!
Old September 4th, 2001, 04:50 AM

Great post, zipulrich. Bookmarking it. Thanks!!