Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:25 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Fresh XP install questions

Hello,

It’s time to reinstall Windows XP. However, with a few questions before me I would like to stop by this wonderful sight for some guidance.

I have a Satellite 1800 laptop. However, my problem is that the CD-RW cd-rom no longer works. Therefore I must remove my hd and place it in a Satellite 1900 which I have the use of. If I install WXP from the Product Recovery I believe everything will work fine if I, at first boot up after fresh install, shut the machine down instead of restarting. I then remove the hd from the 1900, place it back in my 1800 and boot it. It will then pick up all the drivers for my 1800. Correct me if I am wrong. But I am told that this is possible with WXP.

However, one question. I went to do a test run and when I stuck my 1800’s Product Recovery disks in the 1900 a warning comes up stating that this is not possible as I am using 1800 PR disks in a 1900 series. So, when I go to do my fresh install I am guessing I cannot use my original 1800 PR disks but will have to use the 1900 PR disks. Will this affect anything?

Thanks for the help.

nosralr
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

You would be better off getting a plain old cd-rom and installing it to re-load XP..

If you load XP in the other system and then move the hdd back, you will get a couple big nasty error messages as XP will NOT just pick up all the changes between the two systems..

You would need to run the repair option off the XP cd and for that you would need an operating cd-rom drive..

No matter which way you turn, without a cd-rom drive of some sort, XP isn'r going back on the old system !!

Murray
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:20 PM

Is your Cd-rom actually dead, or does it just have errors in device manager & and not appearing in the control panel?--LarryS
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM

My Cd-rom is DEAD. It shows up fine in the device manager, just like it was living. But when I stick any cd in the cd-rom nothing happens. The light just stays on for 5 hours while it trys to access the cd. Am I being too impatient?!!

Thanks.

nosralr
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the help Murray. I didn't realize the problems involved as you mentioned in your post, as another technie told me to do what I posted in my post (swapping from one laptop to another). So we have a little discrepency here, but I will take your word for it. Better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the help.

nosralr
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:59 PM

What would my options be for a "plain old cd-rom" like you advice? Besides a PCMCIA type one, what else would work when I go to reinstall WXP with the product recovery disks?

nosralr

Last edited by nosralr; July 8th, 2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

An external drive would work (usb) or, try going into Device Manager.. Now, remove the cd-rw from there..

Reboot and let Windows find it again..

Murray
Old July 10th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Another bright idea!

Murray,

I unistalled the cd from the Device Manager, rebooted and it shows up again in the Device Manager, but still not working. So the thing must be trashed.

How about another idea? This might be crazy and impossible.

I have a 2.5" USB external hd enclosure. Is there any way to make that like a boot disk so I could boot from that? However, I am presuming that if I ran the Product Recovery from it (if that can be done) then it would erase all the drivers from my c: drive which would not allow me to use the hd enclosure.

Just.

nosralr
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:22 PM
CTH Subscriber

You can but only if your BIOS supports booting to an external drive or USB..

What happens exactly when you put a cd in the drive??

Murray
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

Back again

Nothing happens when I stick a cd in the cd-rom. The light comes on and stays on forever as long as you keep the cd in the cd-rom.

However, I have the use of a USB cd-rom for two days. I can use it to redo Windows on my machine. However, before I start just need to make sure I am doing it all right. If the USB cd-rom works on my machine, I stick in the PR disks and the process starts, will the PR disks reformat my c: drive. If so, once that is done will the laptop still recogize the USB cd-rom, or will I need to reload them. I have never done this before so am a little cautious.

Thanks again Murray.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

Bios

And how do I know if my BIOS supports booting to an external drive or USB?

nosralr
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

You will have that option in the boot setup in BIOS.. If you don't see something like "Boot from USB" or "External Device", then that isn't an option..

Murray