Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 26th, 2022, 02:12 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
COMCTL32.dll was not found

I'm having weird annoying errors since I ran the last windows update...

The code execution cannot proceed because C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_a862 5c1886757984\COMCTL32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.

I can open images, pdfs, regular notepad, and folders, and some programs...but i cant open some programs such as ccleaner or notepad++...I get that error above about the comctl32.dll

I can open chrome and ghostbrowser and navigate around the internet just fine

I found that file in my main system32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folders....but it is missing from the noted folder in the error.

I've tried dragging as well as copy/pasting the file from those folders (as well as a new download) into the folder thats missing the file...but it tells me 'you need permission to perform this action)

I've tried opening file explorer with admin priveleges and going into the folder that way and tried running different cmd codes to let me access it, and my user says i have full owner access to the folder, so I dunno how to fix that so I can put the file in there

I tried opening cmd with admin access and used this command line takeown /f <C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.19041.1110_none_a862 5c1886757984> /r /d y but it tells me 'access is denied'

I am currently fully updated with all windows updates...this problem started after making the latest update...I tried uninstalling them and restoring to a previous point but that didnt help

I did a full scan with malwarebytes pro and nothing came up

I ran check/scan disk and the dism thing and I see an error 23 message...the scans i ran said there were some problem files that it was not able to fix.

I've tried the below instructions even though they were referencing win7..to try and fix the above permissions issues but it didnt help

Once you have obtained a healthy COMCTL32.DLL file by downloading one or from another Windows 7 computer, move it to a readily accessible and memorable location on your computer and then:

Open the Start Menu.
Search for “cmd”.
Right-click on the search result titled cmd and click on Run as administrator.
Type each of the following into the elevated Command Prompt, pressing Enter after typing in each one:
takeown /f c:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll
icacls c:\windows\system32\comctl32.dll /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
Note: If Windows is installed on a partition of your computer’s HDD/SSD other than C, you are going to have to adjust the directories in these commands accordingly.

Type the following into the elevated Command Prompt and press Enter:
copy SOURCE_FILE_PATH DESTINATION_PATH

If it helps, earlier I was getting this error when trying to open the problematic programs "the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) click ok to colose the application." but it was replaced by the comctl32.dll one after I got done trying to run all the checks and fixes and reverts etc.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

I do see errors referenced in the log about not being able to repair the comctl32.dll but I have no idea what to do with any of the info...and I cant attach attachments here so I dunno if i should copy/paste the whole log or how to proceed?

Thanks for any help
Old August 27th, 2022, 03:20 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Updating this with the solution in case it helps someone else searching for help with a similar problem:

I ran the sfc check a couple more times, the dism, then the sfc a final time and I'm back to normal.

I never would have thought things like that would need more than one run until someone on a fb group mentioned it.

--------------