Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2008, 03:41 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
CD/DVD RW x 2 won't see disk

Both my DVD RWs can't see any disk I put in. Window comes up asking if I want to "prepare blank disk". Vista help online had me delet a filter in the Reg, but still no joy. Anybody got an idea?? Thanks!!!
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:14 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstal. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.
Old November 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Before doing those larger change steps maybe you might review the ideas posted at this MS forum jchurchwell. Web info indicates one or the other there will resolve the problem (adding a file, or changing the autorun setting), but as that person pointed out, if you recently added a new third party software like Nero uninstalling that may resolve the problem. If you need help with making those changes just ask and someone can assist there as well.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Problem solved! This is the best help site I've ever used. Thanks so much for yoyr help! And yes, I did sign up for a subsciption! Thanks again!
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Always good to join and participate in keeping the forum going jchurchwell. What step or steps did you do that resolved the problem?
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM

The step that fixed it was changing the value on the Regedit line from 0 to 1. That line was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\CDRom, Right click on CDRom & select export, select desktop in the save box, and type in Backup in file name, click save. Now you have a backup to restore the Reg simply by double clicking it. Then you change the Autorun value from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0. Restart the system and check it out. I really hope this will help someone else!