Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old February 25th, 2018, 02:22 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
C Drive Out of Space

Hi

For the past couple weeks, I've been getting a Google Backup message advising my 308GB C Drive is short on space. C Drive properties shows just over 1GB remaining space. I've emptied the Recycle Bin, deleted all my downloads and checked my other files and directories--Ive got nearly 100GB of movies and Box sets and 20GB of music on the C Drive but nothing else dramatic. I went through and deleted lots of junk and temporary files yesterday and ended up with 85GB remaining space, but this morning I'm back to 1GB.

What am I missing, please and I'm curious--what does Google Backup have to do with my C Drive in the first place (I have 60GB free out of 100 on the Drive)?

Thanks!
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
When file system gets corrupted, it will report the free space incorrectly, which looks like something is taking up disk space. In this case, you can do the followings steps to fix corrupted file system:

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator, and then allow it to make changes to your PC.

2. Type "chkdsk C: /f /v /x" and press Enter.

3. Type "Y" to agree to schedule for reboot, and then reboot your computer to let it scan while it reboots.

System Restore is a Windows feature that can help fix certain types of system crashes and other computer problems. System Protection had been configured to use a lot of disk space to keep System Restore Points. Decreasing the disk space used for System Restore Point might be the solution to C drive keeps filling up.

1. To configure System Protection, right-click This PC/Computer, choose Properties, and hit System Protection from the left option panel.

2. Then you get the System Protection window. Please tab the Configure button located at the lower part.

3. A dialog appears with various settings for configuring Restoration and Disk space usage. Under the Disk space usage tab, you will see the current usage of disk space taken by System Restore. You can drag the slider to reduce the Max Usage you want to allocate to System Protection. You also have the option of deleting all Restore Points which stores System settings and previous versions of files and then disabling system protection.

4. Press OK to save your changes. Please keep an eye on your PC and confirm whether C drive keeps filling up.

Many programs use temporary and cached files that are stored on the hard drive. Over time, this can eat up a lot of hard drive space if you don't clean out your temporary directories. You can free up unnecessary temporary and cached files from Windows by accessing the Disk Cleanup which removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes a variety of system files and other items that you no longer need.
How to free up disk space using Disk Cleanup:

1. At "Search the web and Windows", type "disk cleanup" and then choose "Disk Clean-up" from the Best result.

2. You will come across a window allowing you to select a drive to clean up. Since C: is selected here by default, you just click OK to continue.

3. Disk Clean-up will take some time to calculate how much space is able to be released. Please wait patiently.

4 Then you see a Disk Cleanup for (C : window which tells how much storage space can be released by running Disk Cleanup on this Windows 10 PC. Now scroll down the list to check the items you want to delete and then bit Clean up system files. If you don't know which item to check, you can refer to this post to get suggestions.
Old February 26th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Hi Murf and thanks for a very comprehensive explanation. I've gone through all the steps--didn't get any feedback from the CHKDSK process, so I don't know what, if anything was accomplished. Should there have been some kind of report generated?

I've got 12% of disk space allotted for system restore--is there a recommended setting? There is only one existing restore point (from last night) as I was considering doing a restore to try and see if there's something in the current configuration that's loading up my C Drive, but last night was the same situation I'm having now.

I'm in the middle of disk cleanup of system files--slow process, but at the moment I still only have 3.15GB free (out of 308) so I think there's more on the drive that needs to be gotten rid of.

Can you comment on what Google Backup has to do with this issue??

Thanks again

Warthog
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:02 PM

Sure its you C: drive and not Google Drive your getting the Message about?

Do you have google backup installed?
Old February 26th, 2018, 06:20 PM

Hi Murf
Yes, I have Google Backup installed and I show 46GB used out of !02GB total on the Google Drive.

Very bizarre--after running through the steps you provided, I clawed back 7.6GB of free space on the C Drive, but I just looked at properties again on File Explorer and it's dropped back to 1.3GB without any input from me. What the hell is going on?
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:41 PM

<LI class=_AXc>Open the Start menu and select Settings > Apps > Apps & features . <LI class=_AXc>Search for a specific app or sort them by size to see which ones are taking up the most space. <LI class=_AXc>When you find an app you want to delete, select it from the list, and then select Uninstall. See if anything is unusual high in your apps.

If you upgraded to Windows 10 say from Windows 8 it will still have your old files on the C drive in a directory called Old Windows, need to delete it.

To properly check free space on Windows ten in File Explorer click on THIS PC.

Also have you run a anti-virus and or malware scan?

Also do you hibernate the computer; As when you do it puts your open documents and programs on the drive, upon hibernation the computer saves the contents of its random access memory (RAM) to a hard disk.

Hence, you may disable Hibernation Mode to free up disk space.

Note: Microsoft points out that you may lose data if you make hibernation unavailable, so it is better for you to back up hard drive before you do this.

Hidden Files: In case you have set to hide some special files, you need to make them reveal on your PC. Please do the followings:

Open File Explorer, navigate to View -> Options -> Change folder and search options to get Folder Options window. Then switch to View and do the followings: under "Hidden files and folders", select "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and uncheck all the hide options.

When you uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", you will receive a warning message which reads "these files are required to start and run Windows, deleting or editing them can make your computer inoperable". Please don't mind and click Yes to confirm your operation.

Finally, press OK on the Folder Options window to save your change. Now you can access the C drive and check whether there are large files taking too much disk space.

Old February 27th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Use this to analyse the contents of the drive.
Right click and Run as Admin
Options:
Show free,
Show unknown.

Bet it is Windows SxS.