Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old December 30th, 2011, 07:28 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
a little advice on programs to use

Hello

Since I trust you a lot more than any other site I would appreciate it if you could suggest me a program or two for the following tasks:
-bandwith allocation
-wireless connection monitoring

And two questions since i am a noob at networking, what is the best type of encruption for wireless password and if a virus can actually be caught on the modem itself(that sounds silly to me but i thought since it got a memory to store firmware and all the provider data it can be done).

Running windows 7 home premium and the modem is a TP-LINK one.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by ska_ter18; December 30th, 2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: grammar changes
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Since I trust you a lot more than any other site I would appreciate it if you could suggest me a program or two for the following tasks:
-bandwith allocation
-wireless connection monitoring
If you could provide more detail on what you're trying to do here, and also post the router model (not all router models have the same options).

Bandwidth allocation- can be controlled using the Qos settings on the router. You can give higher/lower priority to network traffic by device/connected port/ or program (which method you use depends on the router options).

wireless connection monitoring If you are trying to prevent piggybacking on your wireless, set the SSID broadcast to disable, set the wireless encryption to WPA or WPA2 and then use the router's wireless mac filter to allow only wireless devices that you specify to connect.
Quote:
what is the best type of encruption for wireless password and if a virus can actually be caught on the modem itself
The strongest encryption for wireless (at least on my linksys) is WPA2. I don't recall ever hearing about a "router being infected with a virus", but it may be possible, though unlikely.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
The modem/router type is TP-Link TS-W8901G.
For bandwidth allocation- In a home network where more than 4 comps use internet at the same time, playing online games with delay due to someone watchind HD streaming or simply download anything is a common thing.So i wanted to allocate a certain bandwidth to one program/comp. Since you explained me it can be done from the router i can search that myself saving you the time.Of course help would always be appreciated.
As for Wireless connection monitoring- its like you said,i want to get rid of piggybacking because lately the connection is very often lost or max at 25kb/s which sounds so 20thcentury.My internet service provider is one of the major in this city,i could blame them for the speed and the modem/router for losing connection(though its a fresh new bought modem/router) but i wanted a second opinion for my verdict.

Thank you again.You have helped me a lot over the times.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
lately the connection is very often lost or max at 25kb/s which sounds so 20thcentury.
This is probably due to the operating environment of where the router is placed. Loss of signal can be due to interference from walls, floors, furniture, appliances, electrical fields, etc. A weak signal will have an effect on through-put of the data (due to latency and packet loss). also incorrect wireless settings can have an impact on speed, and if you have a mixture of B/G/N devices on the wireless, then the speed will default to the slowest protocol for all wireless devices.

Quote:
In a home network where more than 4 comps use internet at the same time, playing online games with delay due to someone watchind HD streaming or simply download anything is a common thing
Along with those activities being bandwidth hogs, gaming and video streaming are heavily dependent on low latency and throughput. Check out DSLreports & SpeedGuide to optimize your home network. If after that you still don't have enough bandwidth, then you may need to step-up to a higher tier connection from your ISP.