Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old June 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
IE very slow after windows update, Some flash animations also became very slow

I am running Windows XP Home SP2.
A couple of weeks ago, I ran the Windows Update. As a result, I downloaded and installed the recommended fixes/updates, some of which were for Internet Explorer.

Once I rebooted my computer, I found that IE was not only extremely slow to start up, but also slow to navigate from web page to web page. I decided to stop using IE and use FireFox instead.

FireFox didn't seem to have any performance issues, until I went to play an online Flash game - it was as if the animation was all in jerky slow motion. I had tried FireFox previously on this same website with no problems. The test on the Macromedia website runs just fine.

Subsequent to these problems starting, I upgraded the RAM on my computer to 768MB from 256MB - this had no effect on the speed of IE or Flash.

I have run virus checker, adware/spyware/malware checkers, registry cleaner, defragmented the hard drive.
I have uninstalled Flash and installed the latest version.
I have reinstalled Shockwave.
I have tried disabling my firewall - no effect.
I have (just yesterday) installed the new IE version 7 - no change.

I have searched various forums to see if anyone else has had a similar problem, but to no avail.

This is not, of course, a critical system issue; it is just an annoyance, but a tedious one.

I hope someone out there can make some useful suggestions on what I can try to fix this.
Any help is appreciated.