Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 31st, 2004, 09:25 PM

Trouble re-installing Windows 98 on laptop

I installed a program that crashed my laptop. Maybe crash isn't the correct word, it would start but there'd be a blank desktop. No icons, no anything, and no way to uninstall the program (a photoshop type program that conflicted with everything else.) Anyhow, it was suggested I do a fdisk, clean off the C drive and just re-install Win 98 and keep away from photo programs. I did this on my Toshiba laptop but I find that the re-install isn't working. I've tried a win 98 CD, a bootable homemade win 98 CD, a superdisk for win 98...I even tried using win 95 disk and cd (with the theory of loading 95, it'll stick, then upgrade to 98)...still didn't work, but it got closer, it got to the point of giving an error message that C: Drive needs 75489221 space (something like that) and did nothing further.
But getting back to win 98, I'll get to the screen that says "start computer with cd support ,start computer without cd support" whichever one I choose brings me to a screen that says "diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive d" then "preparing to start computer" and it brings me the a:\ prompt

I type in "setup" (perhaps that's not the correct command) and I get a bad file error. I try setup on B drive, C drive , and D drive. A, B & D give a bad file error, C gives an invalid media type error. I did a "dir" on all the drives and D & B (the cd) are the only ones with files. I'm not very computer literate so clearly I'm doing something wrong, any help? Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:20 PM

You need to select "Start computer WITH CD-Rom support". When you do that, you need to watch the boot messages carefully. You should see some (at least 2) that indicate that both parts of the DOS CD-ROM driver have loaded sucessfully. The first part is the device-specific part, like OAKCD.SYS for the Oak Technologies driver, and the second part is the MSCDEX.EXE Microsoft driver. If both parts load sucessfully, then you should be able to access the CD-ROM drive. Note that the drive letter assigned should also show up in the status messages. Some boot diskettes use G: or H: as the drive letter.

Last edited by jdc2000; October 31st, 2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old October 31st, 2004, 10:25 PM

Yep, did all that. The directory was E, I did E:SETUP at the a prompt. Just got a "bad command" error.
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:01 AM

What happens when you type in the following commands:

DIR E: /P

DIR E:\SETUP*.*

Do you get any files listed for the second command?
Is there a WIN98 folder in the first list?
Any error messages?