Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM

'windows boot manager' my windows wont start!

I cant start windows all I get to is the windows boot manager where I'm told to do the following

1.insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2.choose your language settings and then click ''next.''
3.click ''repair your computer''

If you do not have this disc ,contact your system administer or computer manufacturer for assistance

file : \boot\bcd
info:an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

(its a dell inspiron with vista basic)

Ive inserted the windows reinstallation disc and pressed enter to continue this didnt do any thing so I've tryed turning it on and off as I cant get onto windows to restart this doesnt work either I still return to the boot manager .
The only F buttons I can press as the computer is loading up are F2 and F12 but I'm not sure if these can help anything and I'm not sure what to do with the options presented anyway.

Any solutions that will get windows to load without losing any data would be very welcome

thanks in advance
James
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi James, you may have to go into the bios and change the boot priority to boot from the CDRom drive as first device. See here for more help.
Old August 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM

thanks alot ,all I had to do was hammer f2 from start up then change boot priority then the repaired windows changed the settings back and everything works fine now
thanks for the help
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Great and you are very welcome.