Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 24th, 2008, 03:53 AM

Computer Slow + Hard Drive Running

Quick rundown of what is going on and what I have.

Primary computer stats
Core 2 2.66 ghz
2x 1GB RAM
NVidia 8800 (forgot the exact MB but its 365, or 355, or whatever)
the rest isn't giving issues nor would cause the bog, unless someone really needs it all.

In chronological order.

Forced to install Nortan 360 (biggest mistake of life) on computer. I know this is likely the issue but before I go and fix things I need someone to review this story to insure that I am taking the proper measures of removing NAV 360.

Since then, randomly the hard drive will begin working itself over as if I'm loading a major program or searching the files... yet Processor and RAM is BARELY being used.

NAV 360 is told to NOT run anything in the background except normal protection and firewall. Everything else is manual, no reminders, no auto-scans, no hidden things.... even when I totally turn off the firewall and protection (with program still up) the problem seems to persist.

Is the run-down of my computer's hard drive being caused by NAV 360? Even when the program is still open, but told not to operate any tasks?

There are no viruses, no worms, and absolutely not a hacker attack (persists with net unplugged).

This is RANDOM. It happens randomly on boot up or during idle time. Never in the middle of a full on program, and yes I defrag constantly. Computer maintenance is my constant goal.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Try running the system in safe mode (as this only uses the required software/drivers). If the pc runs without the problems you mentioned then it is 100% a software problem. At this point it is a trial to find what is causing it but norton is a good place to start. Best thing to do is uninstall it completely and see how it runs afterwards. You can find a removal tool on the symantec website for the version you have got:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Obviously be warned that you will need the downloaded install file and license or the CD depending on how you bought it to reinstall the product if you want to! If it isnt norton have a look at msconfig to see what other services are set to start and other programs set to run and trial and error removing them.
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Windows will constantly try to fix a bad sectors in your hard drive. A very slow hard drive is usually the result of this phenomenon. Bad sector cause your hard drive to constantly try to read of inaccessible information. Running Check Disk will help you determine if your hard drives has bad sectors.

1. Click the Windows button and open the Computer folder.
2. Find and Select your hard drive, right click the hard drive icon.
3. Choose Properties from the drop down list.
4. In the Local Disk Properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
5. Click the Check Now button.
6. For maximum cleanup click "Automatically fix..." and "Scan for ..."
7. If you see new dialog window, click Schedule disk check to start.

Hope this helps!
http://www.delete-computer-history.c...ard-drive.html