Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Computer Slow, nothing will open, hard drive constantly on-HELP!

I have a Dell Dimension with a Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz) with 512MB of RAM. My computer has never had any significant problems until recently. Suddenly, within the last couple days, my computer bogs down during startup. My desktop appears, but I can't open any programs or windows, or if I do, it takes FOREVER for them to open. My hard drive activity light is constantly on. I have Avast! anti-virus, Spy-bot and Ad-Aware, but the problem is, my computer won't open them to run a scan! Eventually, my computer will tell me I'm "critically low on virtual memory". I've tried to turn off any unnecessary applications to free up resources. I've even tried to boot up in Safe Mode, but no luck: when I try, my computer shows a bunch of scrolling lines of file paths or something, then just freezes. The most frustrating part is, my computer is so slow that I can barely get into msconfig or regedit to poke around. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Thanks in advance!
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Have you tried removing and reseating your RAM modules?
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM

No, because I'm not even sure what that means. Do you mean physically removing the memory chips and putting them back? Could that solve these problems?
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
slightest problem with memory sticks, will result in critical error (BSOD), not delay any process. open task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and see what's taking your cpu. click on processes tab, click once or twice on cpu column. your system idel process should be between 90-99 percent and cpu % at the bottom should be less than 10. any other processes that hogs cpu, you will see it in the cpu column.
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:56 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
Bring it up in 'safe mode' - then run your virus, malware, trojan, spyware applications.