Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM

Exclamation Windows XP Pro hangs on boot but not in safe mode without network support

I have recently run into a situation involving a system hang during boot on my computer with Windows XP Professional. The system boots normaly but hangs in the same place. I have reason to beleive that it has something to do with my network card and/or accosiated driver(s). I can boot correctly (and completely) in safe mode, but without network support. System Restore has proven useless in this particular situation. I have removed the Network Interface Card from its PCI slot and have seen absolutely no change or progress during boot, meaning it still hangs in the same place.

It is to my understanding that I can use "msconfig" (microsoft configuration utility) to enable "/BOOTLOG" (or something to that effect) to record a bootlog to text on root directory of the hard drive. I have not tried this yet but I have a feeling its another dead end. It seems to me that theres really no way to get away from reinstalling Windows, or reformatting the hard drive.

My systems specs are the following:

900mhz AMD Athlong (thunderbird) CPU

256 MB SDRAM

40 GIG & 20 GIG Hard Drive

Windows XP Professional alone

Linksys 10/100 Network Card <temporarily removed>

Abit KT7A - RAID Motherboard/Chipset <not running raid at this time>

Abit Siluro GeForce 4 MX 440 Video card (which is the only thing that prevents me from rushing to Linux due to compatibility issues)

If anyone has any idea's or suggestions as to finding trouble spots or files that may prevent the system from booting and cause it to hang, let me know. This is certainly not the first time I have seen this with my computer and doubt it is the last time I will. Fortunately this shows up every once in a great while.