Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM

DVD Burner Help: Difference between DVD-ROM and CD/DVD Burner

Uhhh, Im a real noob at all this hardware stuff. Anyways, what is so special about DVD-ROM? Im about to buy a pc but not sure whether to get a DVD-Rom and CD Burner (2nd bay) or a CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) Drive.

WTH are all those terms? What is this "(DVD+/- RW)" stuff? How does a CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) differ from a DVD-Rom with CD Burner Drive?

Isn't a CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) better cause it allows you to read and write on CD's AND DVD's?

Also, do the burnt DVD's actually play on a real DVD player or only works when read on the PC? My friend burnt me a movie a few months ago but ti didn't play on a real dvd player, only on a PC. I am so confused...
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

Get the CD/DVD burner. A dvdrom only reads dvds, it doesn't burn them, neither does a cdrw burn dvds. If your friends dvd won't play in a stand alone dvd player, it could be due to how it was burned and finalized or whether your standalone will play pc burned dvds. Some will, like the one I have, and some older units won't.

A DVDRW +R, _R means you can use either or those types of disks. They are available most everywhere. If the drive says DVDR then it only burns certain DVD's, and same if it says DVD-R. So, the new one you get will play, burn, and copy, any of the DVD's you purchase. Whether they are -R or +R or RW's (Rewriteables).

Hope that helps.