Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Computer dead

Hi there, I hope someone can help me. I bought a Compaq laptop about 2 years ago, a few months after which the problem first happened: I was working, and suddely it made a strange noise, like a small explosion in the computer (don't know how to better describe it), and it went all dead. Black screen, no chance of rebooting it. It was still under warranty, and the guys who fixed it said some 'data wre corrupt'. Anyway, I hated the computer and bought a new one, gave the old onw to my mum. She's now suddenly having the same problem again, TWICE. It first happened a few weeks ago. It wouldn't even react when inserting the recovery CD. The tech guys (different ones) sayd it was some electric fault, I think. Fixed it, but it happened again. This time, the screen didn't go all balck, but rather froze 'blue' (at the stage when you just start windows xp). So I suspect it might be a broken hard disk?? I let it fall on the floor once which certainly didn't do it any good. Please help, I feel really guilty of giving my mum such a crappy computer!! Thanks, Dani
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

explosive noises are not usually caused by harddrive, however, they are caused by power supplies. Letting a laptop hit the floor probably broke something on the motherboard and it's components and causing any number of problems. I would hazard a guess and tell you the computer is toast now. Replacing the harddrive isn't going to fix your problems.
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:01 AM

thanks for your reply. this is bad.. but it makes sense, because when it first happened again (the second time in total), that was just after the power adapter blew up!! so, you guess it's definitely not worth putting in a cheap new hard drive, just to make sure that's not the reason? it definitely can't be the harddrrive? and it's normally not worth fixing it when something like this happens??
Old June 15th, 2006, 03:50 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
For what you would spend to have it repaired you will probably be able to get another used one. You could be adventuress and dismantle and see if you can see anything visually broken??

But it appears while it was under warranty it was never first right. Also if it wasn't that long ago - (tech guys (different ones) sayd it was some electric fault, I think. Fixed it) I would take it back and tell them the same problem has occurred after you supposedly fixed it. Unless you can see by the case that it was dropped....
Old June 15th, 2006, 04:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

Agree with Murf if it hasn't been that long since the repair was done, and still isn't working, take it back and tell them their fix didn't work. Where I work we have a 30 day warranty and if it breaks or doesn't work before the 30 days are up, we fix it for free. Though we won't warrant anything else that arises after the fix.

But replacing the harddrive isn't going to fix what's wrong as I said before. And laptop harddrives are not cheap.
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM

thanks for your replies!! will do that.