Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM

comp power on help

Today I put together a computer for a friend. First I put everything together in the case and powered on ..we got no beeps and the power supply shut off after about 4 seconds(led on mb stayed on). I made sure everything was connected correctly and same thing happend.I then took everything out of case and only left the MB,PSU,and CPU in. It Powers on then I get one long beep and then the psu shuts off again(led on mb still stays on) Total process is still about 4 seconds.One thing I found odd is that the neon light on the psu was bright the first few times we turned the comp on and now the light is very dim,dunno if that has anything to do with anything. I have cleared the cmos battey with the jumpers like it says in the manual and I also made sure the cpu was seated correctly 2 times.The parts are :

MB= Asus M2N-sli deluxe
CPU=Amd 64x2 athlon socket am2
PSU=OCZ Tech game stream 700w

One more thing Id like to mention is that the front case power and reset buttons do nothing while it is plugged in. the system comes on for 4 seconds as soon as I plug the cord in and then shuts down.

Last edited by agoz; March 1st, 2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

Did you use the brass standoffs under the motherboard where there only holes in the motherboard?

The one long beep would indicate no memory, when you had it out of the case.
Old March 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM

yes I used all the brass standoffs.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:16 PM
CTH Subscriber

As in all that was in the package or all that it needed? I hope it was the latter because using all that was in package was too many. Are you sure the heatsink/fan assembly is tightly seated? This problem sounds like it's not. Check again, just to make sure.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:09 AM

I didnt use all the brass standoffs in the pack only how many I needed for the holes in the MB.The heatsink and fan are seated tight . I will take it all out and make sure again tho.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 12:13 AM
CTH Subscriber

About you instant on problem. There should be a setting in the bios to stop that happening. Check under Power Management.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM

Ok so I took the Mb out of the case and laid it on a cardboard box with just the power supply and cpu installed, turned it on and still the same thing ....powered on and I got one long beep then it shut off ( total time 4 seconds)....then I installed the memory and it powered on for 4 seconds with no beep then shut off. I am RMAing the power supply back to newegg tomarrow. Does it sound like the power supply is the bad part or could it be a bad MB or CPU. Unfortunatly the MB and CPU were purchased over 5 months ago so Newegg will not replace them. Also I only have 1 other power supply laying around and its only 20 pin and 300 watts so I cant swap it in to test it. What do u guys think?
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Well, it's either the Power supply (doubtful) or the motherboard.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Have you contacted Asus about RMAing the board? I should think they would. I've had good experience with them in replacing MOBO's. One board they replaced 3 times with no problem!
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

The MB is still covered by asus and the new PSU will be here in about 6 days... If the PSU isnt the problem will send in the MB.Will let u guys know how it turnes outtyvm for the help
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM

Well it turned out to be the case.The front panel wires (power and Reset) are wired wrong. After I got a new MB and PSU it still didnt work so I pulled a old case out of the basement and it worked. Anyway its running perfect now TY guys for the help