Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:44 PM

2 Screens Headache

Hello,

A friend of mine recently bought an Acer Veriton 1000 and he has 2 LCD's with an extended desktop set up on there, the veriton has two graphics outputs, VGA and DVI, he bought 2 x 19'' Acer screens with both DVI and VGA inputs on each monitor and used one VGA and one DVI to input to the computer. I liked his setup so I bought a Veriton with 2 x 22'' widescreen LCD's but only with VGA outputs, I thought the way around this would be to buy a simple DVI to VGA adapter and use the ports that way, so one in the VGA, and the other VGA in the adapter in the DVI, however, after setting them up it will not work and I don't know why because I have seen systems set up like this in the past, is my hardware faulty or are the adapters faulty or is it just not possible with 2 VGA only screens. I have been lookin for a setting in the BIOS that might activate the DVI connection but can't see anything that sticks out. Does anybody know anything about this?
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:56 AM

Do you have a graphics card? If not you might want to get one even a cheap one & hook up one monitor to the card & one to your computer. I only mention this because that's the way I'm set up. Seems like your adapter ought to work though. Not likely it's defective but...a new one wouldn't be too expensive & maybe worth a try.
GL
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:39 AM

What king of graphics card? my only option on the veriton I can see is an external card, the graphics card built into the computer has two inputs, 1 VGA and 1 DVI
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:48 AM

I would just go with a DVI converter. Just for kicks did you try switching your cables back & forth from DVI to VGA?
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Did you go to Display Settings and tick the box to Extend the desktop to your second monitor?
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah, it won't let me do anything to a second monitor because it thinks there are only one, in the intel options it says to use the extended display option please plug in a second monitor, I have already done this but it is not recognising it through the adapter, I'm lost!
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If it's not recognised at al, most likely it's a faulty adapter. Other possibilities include a faulty video adapter, or a faulty monitor.