Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Question Connecting 2 wiereless routers together.

Hello,
Let me explain. I have a Linksys WRT100 wireless router hooked to my cable modem. I have 3-5 computers connected to it at time. 2 of which are hard-wired to the router, other 2-3 are connected wireless. Recently, I got another PC from my friend, and hooked it up to my TV in living room, his PC (desktop) came also with a D-Link DIR-625 (A) router. Since living room is way too far to run a cable to it, here's what i'm trying to do:
I'm trying to hook up the D-Link (in livingroom) wirelessly to connect to Linksys router, and get its internet connection from that, i want this D-Link to act sort of an access point where i can hard wire my desktop in the living room too. I called D-Link, and their people told me its possible, made follow through some changes to the config of their router, made me run few commands etc and told me their router is set up fine to work with my linksys, and as of that, they told me my linksys router isnt set up right. So i called linksys, and they told me everything seems to be fine, and try telling me my cable modem is bad (which is BS b/c im online right now... ).
So i tried messing with some settings on both routers, but nothing seems to work.... I really have no idea how to set this thing up....
Can anyone help me out?
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Why not just install a wireless adapter in the desktop in the living room computer? You can get two wireless routers to do what it is you want however one of them is turned into a WAP pretty much. This would mean changing some settings in the config for both routers. The easy way would be just to install a PCI or USB wireless adapter in the desktop and be done with it.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Quote:
t, i want this D-Link to act sort of an access point
Actually connecting this way it would be acting as a wireless bridge.

As Bw said going with a PCI adapter would be simpler. Not all routers support being used as a bridge and i don't know about the DI-625
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Having a quick read of the guides for each router, I wonder if it will work better the other way around, use the D'Link as your main WAP and use the Linksys as the bridge?
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:16 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
Having a quick read of the guides for each router, I wonder if it will work better the other way around, use the D'Link as your main WAP and use the Linksys as the bridge?
I was just thinking that. Will try this weekend, see what happens...