Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM

Question about routers and modems

Hi. I have a router and a modem and I was wondering, am I suppose to unplug it after I turn off my computer? Because I have a dsl modem I have been using for 3 years and I have left it on 24/7 for those years. Recently I got a router and after I used it for the first day, I felt it and it was very warm so I unplugged the power cord. So I was wondering, am I suppose to unplug routers/modems when I'm not using it or else it will overheat? Or can I just leave it on 24/7?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Routers and modems are made to be left on 24/7. You should be able to leave them on and be just fine. Some routers do tend to get a bit warm so just make sure that you don't stack anything on top of it, and make sure you leave room under it so air can flow both on top and bottom. Some routers do get hotter than others but a quality router should not overheat if yours does then its a bad router. What brand and model is it?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:29 PM

It's a Netgeat router. It's on my desk next to the printer and I put a big piece of paper over it so it doesn't get all dusty but I'll get rid of that paper then.
Old October 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
PhoenixBlue - agree w/ our 'expert' moderator - I have a cable modem w/ a Linksys 'wireless' router - leave them on all of the time, unless I'm goin' out of town for a few days or longer, then I'll pull the power plugs - in fact, do the same w/ my desktop computer; this is a debatable issue, so I'm sure that others may respond differently?