Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Slow Dial-up Internet, Bandwidth Speed test

My Internet speed was fine but it suddenly became extremely slow. Some pages take forever to load and then don’t completely load. Some take 3 tries to get past the "Page Not Available" screen. Loading 2 at once is out of the question now. I’ve had my phone line checked for noise and the connection to it is the same as it always was.

The computer itself isn’t slow. I.E. or Netscape will pop right open as well as all other programs but the Internet is slow with I.E. or Netscape.

Is there anything in the computer that can cause this or can it only be a phone company problem? I ran a bandwidth speed test and here are the results:

8.2 kilobits per second

Storage - 1 kilobytes per sec.

1Mb file download - 17 min.

Subjective Rating -Very Slow

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

JW

Old June 29th, 2005, 06:58 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
A question or 2 before we try to help here. What ISP do you use? What ver of Windows do you run, and is this a stand alone computer or do you have it networked with others in your home?
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the reply badwayz.

My ISP is my local telephone Co. I’m not sure if that is what you mean. I am running Windows XP and it is a stand alone computer.