Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

Sound Recorder

I haven't used the sound recorder since I reformatted my hard drive. Today when I tried to record a small WAV file, I couldn't get it to work. It's not the mike and I selected the MIC option in volume controls, but it has made no difference. The sound on my computer works perfectly. I am obviously missing something - but what?
Old October 11th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Hi Nancy
I take it for granted that you did check yr mike and is fully operational,and is plugged in the correct receptacle...yr settings(mike checked) record mode are correct if you are trying to record thru the mike...to start with can you do a sound test?you can use the msn messenger test wizard,and let us know?
regards
Old October 11th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Newer versions of Sound Recorder have a time limit of 30 seconds. If the wav file you're trying to record is longer than that, SR will often refuse to record any of it.
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaxea
Hi Nancy
I take it for granted that you did check yr mike and is fully operational,and is plugged in the correct receptacle...yr settings(mike checked) record mode are correct if you are trying to record thru the mike...to start with can you do a sound test?you can use the msn messenger test wizard,and let us know?
regards
I installed Windows Messenger. I can only see the Audio Test, is this the wizard you are referring to? I did the mike test and it didn't move in to the yelloiw area, as there isn't a yellow area)

Do I feel stupid (duh!)
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Hi
Yes this is the test I am referring to...if mike is ok ,you get a green fluctuating line,and even ..when test is carried out completely it will tell you..if your mike tests negative,perhaps is plugged at the wrong receptable,at the back of yr box you see them...they have markings, small inprint of a mike,but if you can't see them use the trial method,try the same test with the mike plugged in each hole....
if all negative perhaps its a faulty mike
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Hi
Yes this is the test I am referring to...if mike is ok ,you get a green fluctuating line,and even ..when test is carried out completely it will tell you..if your mike tests negative,perhaps is plugged at the wrong receptable,at the back of yr box you see them...they have markings, small inprint of a mike,but if you can't see them use the trial method,try the same test with the mike plugged in each hole....
if all negative perhaps its a faulty mike
I've just tried the wizard again with a new headset I just went out and bought, but it makes no difference. The sound is OK, but as far as recording is concerned, other than the twitchering volume meter, there's no green line, nothing seems to be happening! I have the pink plug plugged into the pink socket. Out of sheer desperation I tried it in the other sockets, but it's still not working. I'm really getting desperate, any other suggestions, please?
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:32 PM

Hi Nancy
The next thing we can try is to give you my settings,just verified again and I can record.
go to control panel>sounds and multimedia click on it and you get "sound and audio devices properties and go to the sound tab and then "sound recording" click volume tab and when it opens "microphone" should be ticked
Now do the same with voice tab mike should be ticked.
also you can do the hardware test
these are my settings for xp pro
hope it works for you
Old October 13th, 2004, 08:18 PM

hi there, i'm not really mr computer expert, but if u often record wav stuff onto ur computer, download "CD ex", it's free and once it's saved it'll convert it into different formats, and it has no maximum recording length, matt
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Hi Nancy
The next thing we can try is to give you my settings,just verified again and I can record.
go to control panel>sounds and multimedia click on it and you get "sound and audio devices properties and go to the sound tab and then "sound recording" click volume tab and when it opens "microphone" should be ticked
Now do the same with voice tab mike should be ticked.
also you can do the hardware test
these are my settings for xp pro
hope it works for you
(Sigh) It didn't work. And the Hardware test flopped......! Can I try anything else?

Lanky: Thanks for the suggestion. But I also need to record in Quicktime.

Last edited by Nancy; October 13th, 2004 at 11:07 PM.
Old October 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Hi
Since you reformatted and installed xps...and since yr hardware test flopped..can you download the xp drivers from yr sound card manufucturer?
what sound card do you have?
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Hi
Since you reformatted and installed xps...and since yr hardware test flopped..can you download the xp drivers from yr sound card manufucturer?
what sound card do you have?
First - when I switched on my computer earlier, I find I now have a continuous rat tat tat sound, so I have to Mute the sound for some peace. I must have done something wrong while trying to solve my recording problem. Any thoughts?

Your question re my soundcard has rung a bell. I bought my computer in 1997. Since then everything - motherboard, tower, processor etc, has been upgraded EXCEPT the soundcard!! I still have my original soundcard which is a VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) (ever heard of it?) The driver is Microsoft's dated 2001 installed with XP I suppose. There was an upgrade that I used from the MSN update site, but it created problems, so I uninstalled it. Could it be time for a new soundcard? Really appreciate your help
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Hi Nancy
do this first...untick all "mute" and tick only mike as per my settings above,and then check yr mike again
Nowadays soundcards are really cheap,so in future you can replace it....Yes the card you have is an old one...i used to have it as well,but it was giving me few problems ,like a continous humming noise,and if i remember correctly is not full duplex..I did deactivate it and installed a cheap soundblaster..creative
regards
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

It's weird - the Test Wizard tells me that my setup is working perfectly huh - what a joke! The device manager also tells me that it is working normally - I guess I'll have to give up, and just hope that a new soundcard will solve the problem. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:51 PM

hi Nancy
It does buffle me as well..however as you know,sometimes is difficult to troubleshoot without visual contact..it still might be something simple that we both fail to spot
If you buy a soundcard remember to disable the one you have now thru bios as i think is a part of yr m/b
regards
Old October 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM
CTH Subscriber

I do appreciate that it is difficult to troubleshoot without sight of the computer. I intend to get a Creative soundcard, nothing expensive. What model do you suggest? Thanks