Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion > Comments & Suggestions

Notices

Comments & Suggestions Have a comment or suggestion to make about Cyber Tech Help ?

Topic Tools
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:41 AM

Hi guys how are you?

Im directing this to Mishy cause i think he is the only one that could change things.......

Ths OS bases ARE NOT IN ORDER!!

The Windows 7 Base should be FIRST ON THE LIST for example as its the NEWEST os.... Then Vista,XP,etc.......

Whadda ya think buddy?? (Trying to help make CTH look even better )
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
actually win7 should be last :-) oldest to the newest... :-) to me that would make the forum look better :-)
Old July 3rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Or are they sorted in some other order... like popularity for example?
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/oper....aspx?qprid=10
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
I think the order is correct, by popularity.

However I would dispute the list in the market share site. It is easy to derive figures for things that are actually sold, regardless of what they are. One just gathers revenue figures from marketing companies, or the like.

It is a bit harder to gather accurate statistics for things that are given away for free. For example I have a system here running Linux, on another computer, I am not a registered Linux user, nor did I purchase the OS. I guess my system has not been counted anywhere, as a Linux system. I wonder how many others there are out there in the same boat?

I will be at Linux Conference in Brisbane LCA2011 in January together with some thousand or more others, all with laptops running some version of Linux. I wonder how many of those have been counted, particularly as many were purchased with a pre-installed MS operating system, which has since been dumped.

If you question this, try and purchase a laptop without a MS operating system installed, yes you can get them, but usually they cost more, due to the agreements the manufacturer have with MS. I guess there are exceptions, but I've not found them. So I assert that the figures on popularity are skewed towards MS and away from Linux.

OK it probably won't alter the order, but from a nit picking point on view, 1.07% for Linux is just not correct. If web servers were to be included, the figures are defiantly incorrect. LAMP systems for small web servers I believe would be supreme.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The market share numbers I've seen are usually based on server logs and actual usage, not sales. In looking over the numbers, the Linux share seemed realistic. I went looking and found more info. On their page linked above, click Help and there is a popup with more info on methodology.

Quote:
Operating System

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use for browsing (not servers). This data is derived by aggregating the traffic across our network of websites that use our service.

For information about our methodology, see the home page section entitled, 'About Our Market Share Statistics'.
Dude, I agree with you that it makes sense for the list to be in the order you mentioned, especially now that Windows 7 has matured. As for the order listed in the forums, I think it was based on popularity at the time the order was last established and that hasn't changed much. Maybe MishY will consider a change. Maybe not.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM

I hear ya buddy....

The list Smurfy posted is quite interesting