Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:07 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Need help after re-installing Win7 OS.

I recently had to re-install Win7 on my 2009 Acer Aspire 5738Z. The laptop originally came with Vista. I had the hard drive partitioned in half. D: is running Vista. I didn't want to nuke it in case of an emergency. That was a good call because Win7 went bad. C: now runs fresh install of Win 7 64x Pro. I bring up the fact about Vista so you know this was not a native Win7 machine. After the OS re-install & a million window updates & reboots later I was left with some questions.
-I have just some basic programs installed so far. My work Outlook (several gigs), office 2010, firefox, chrome, skype, teamviewer, iTunes (fresh install no music). I looked in C: in Computers & I'm using 59G of a 100 G HDD! Does that sound normal? I think I saw right after the Win7 install & all updates it was just over 40G used! Should Win7 & all needed updates amount to 40-50+ G of space? If not what have I done wrong?

-So far the system seems to be running fine. I'm just not sure if i have all the needed drivers for my laptop. I've noticed when I use the volume buttons no icon displays on the screen. It always showed up in Vista & the old Win7. That make me think I might be missing some drivers after the re-install. How can I find out if I have all the needed & up to date drivers?

Thanks for your help!
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hard to know especially now that other software has been installed. It varies according to how much RAM your laptop has. Windows 7 adjusts your paging file to be the same size as your RAM so if you have 8GB's, your paging file will be that size.

MS advise that 20GB's is required for a fresh install but it is not uncommon for more disk space than that to be required. Installing updates will have created system restore points too and they add a few GB's to the space used.

Acer have a hardware detection utility here that helps you find the correct drivers for your laptop.