Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:25 AM

The IPHLPAPI.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem

I recently removed a Trojan from my Windows 98SE laptop, and after restarting my computer, I got an error message saying, "Error Starting Program: The IPHLPAPI.DLL file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem." Now my computer no longer reads my PCMCIA wireless adapter. I uninstalled the drivers for the adapter, replaced the iphlpapi.dll file in the system folder with a copied one from the option/cabs folder and then reinstalled the network adapter drivers, but the error message still pops up. I've read that on some Windows ME computers this happens when AOL 9.0 is installed, but I have never installed any version of AOL on the computer.

It's a:
Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS
running:
Windows 98 Second Edition
with a:
Motorola WN825G Wireless Notebook Adapter
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

A belated welcome to CTH. If you have not already solved the problem, have you gone through this MS list of repair steps?
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Yes, I did follow those, but since I do not have a Win 98 cd for my computer, I copied the file over from the options/cabs folder. I don't know if that file was corrupted too, but after following all the instructions, I still got the same error.
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Did you register it after coping it?

Go to Start | Run

Type command hit OK

Now type the following:

c:\regsvr32.exe IPHLPAPI.DLL

Hit enter, if sucessful it will tell you.