Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:57 PM

One Bad Piece?

I just put together a brand new computer with all new parts. It fires up just fine and all the fans, switches and lights work fine. I can hear the hard drive spinning, the screen momentarily flashes at power on. The problem is I can't see anything on the screen. It acts like the monitor isn't even plugged into the video card. There is no memory beeps at all. I tried the new DDR2 memory, one piece at a time in each dimm slot 0 with no change. I believe it could be the video card or CPU? Would you still see the bios screen if the CPU was bad?
I would love to here some other ideas of where to start. Any advise you could give would be helpful. Thank You
Old October 31st, 2010, 03:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

List your hardware specs. Does the motherboard have on-board video or are you using a video card? Make sure all cards are fully seated and snug, make sure all power connections are plugged in correctly and snug.
Old October 31st, 2010, 05:52 PM

(Intel D945PSNLK, Pentium D 925, (2) 1 GB PNY DDR2 667 Mhz, Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, Themaltake 430W, WD 500 GB Sata HD, LG DVD+RW Sata Burner)

***After connecting everything together I powered on the unit and it lit-up and did everything that sounded normal. Switches,lights,fans and hard drive spin-up seemed very normal. It would not display anything on the monitor. I then switched the memory with the older unit and that unit fired-up fine. Next I swapped video cards and the new card displayed fine on the older unit. Running out of ideas, I swapped the CPU's,no change. I then pulled the board and placed it on a non metalic surface with only the video card connected, still nothing! I then reset the bios pin while disconnected from power supply. After all of this I still don't get video on the screen.
Old November 1st, 2010, 02:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

Could very well be the motherboard, If the video card fires up ok in a different pc but won't work in the new one, odds are it's the motherboard. RMA it.