Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
new build cpu questions

Been buying new hardware as prices come down. I have one question only, as I have built systems for others and myself and haven't had any real problems as of yet. Have built the last four systems around Biostar motherboards and haven't had any problems. I bought a Biostar A770A2+ motherboard and it can handle AMD Athlon 64,
AMD Athlon 64 FX
AMD Sempron
AMD Athlon 64 X2
AMD Phenom. My question is, for internet ,mail and some word processing,Excell,and some internet games,WOW, COD, would there be a big advantage using the Phenom 9950 cpu? Staying with XP Pro, 2 Sata hd ,floppy,2 DVRW, I'm putting in 2 gb 1066 mem, Gforce 9800gt. Any thoughts?
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

the biggest gain with using a multi-core cpu is the ability to multitask, Hypothetically on a dual or quad core processor, you should be able to watch a dvd movie and do a virus scan both at the same time, with no stuttering or slow down for either program. there are a few programs that are written to actually multithread. (I think a few adobe products do use it). If the price is right get one.