Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM

block internet access but still receive email

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. We would like to restrict internet access to our employees, but still allow them to receive email using outlook.

Can anyone provide me with an answer?

Thank you
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
If you are running a firewall you could block all outbound traffic except those needed for email. What you need to leave open depends on the email service you use and whether or not your email server is onsite or not.
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If your firewall/proxy allows you to block packets based on protocol, you could block all HTTP/HTTPS traffic but allow POP3, SMTP and IMAP traffic.
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Thumbs up Perfect Solution

What the moderator and oracle have mentioned is absolutel correct and I believe the simplest methods of doing this.

You have to block certain port numbers in your firewall settings to stop them from browsing the internet but you can still allow port numbers which are responsible for incoming and outgoing mail.

Common protocols for browsing are HTTP & HTTPS ( for secured websites ). For these you need to block port 80 & 443 respectively. depending on which firewall software you use, it can either have protocol blocking options or port-wise blocking options. i have given you both.

Ports which you need to keep open are - POP3 (110 & 995) for incoming mails and SMTP (25 / 587 ) for outgoing mails.

you are done. apply settings in firewall. reboot pc - once it reboots, it should work. we have tried this at our company reception desk as receptionists would keep chattind and use messengers. this took care of it. but for our kind of setup the Internet Security Software was a Server Licencse. so settings we applied on to one main server were deployed onto all clients. Sort of Active Directory type... I dont know what kinda Internet Security Suite License / Firewall License you have. Incase you do not have the one which has one main server controllin all clients - then you will have to block & allow the above mentioned ports individually on all Pcs