Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Locked out of files...again!

So heres the story,
while doing this...
RESOLVED: Can't Delete Folders/When Opening Win explorer Crashes!
I wanted to test the stability of my drive so I cut my music folder, (168G) and pasted it within the same drive, one level up. Now the issue I had previous to this didn't do any real harm to the file so I figured it couldn't hurt to try this 'caus its an easy fix right?
Well, I see that I enter the folder so I think nothing of it and attempt to reboot regular. From safe mode it says that I "cannot disturb the operation while windows is handling a file", paraphrasing at best. I wait to try again and no problem. Once back in Windows, I double check that folder and there is only one folder in it...a fraction of the collection.
So I system restore and there they are, all back in place, yay! I go through yesterday's procedure and refix my original issue and call it a night. What a fulfilling day. my machine is running great and its time to relax...
So I wake this morning go through my afternoon and fell like listening to some music but winamp can't access the files, any of them. It references them one to the next but none play...Microsoft player says: ..."cannot access the file. It may be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.
Ok...so I just dealt with the similar issue where I had to restore file permissions but this isn't as easy as just going into safe mode to unlock them. Why did this happen and what do I do?
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Sidistyk and welcome to CTH. I havent the vaguest idea what caused your problem however you may have to boot back into Safe Mode (XP Home?) and restore the permissions on every folder you cannot access. See here for more help.
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Heloo AnnMarie,
Sorry it took so long, been hectic around here. So...I tried that to no avail. I also ran a check disk with 0 errors. I don't get any error when trying to open a file in winamp, though when I have had a corrupt file in the past Winamp makes it clear there is a problem, this just goes like its gonna play and skips through each track without playing, you just see the track change rapidly... Microsoft player says, "Cannot access the file. It may be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."
They're there, I just can't access them... I don't think my embedded link went through in that first post, but right before this happened I had fixed this:

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=26151

..and thats why I was testing the stability of my file...shoulda used a txt file, sheesh...What do you think?
Old May 19th, 2007, 05:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

OK well if WinAmp can play the files, it is not likely to be a permissions issue. Have you tried reinstalling WMP?
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM

No winamp can't play the files, it references them, goes through the tracks but doesn't play them. I can delete them but not move them, I get an "access denied". The one thing that seems to be reoccurring is... "the file could be in use." That is a shared description from Windows media player, ("Cannot access the file. It may be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.") and the error I get when trying to move the file-"Cannot copy, Access denied- Make sure the disk is not full...and the file is not currently in use."
We know that I have full permissions since I can delete it, We know the disk is not full...
I have a feeling this is a challenging one...Whats next?
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

Are the files protected? See here.
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM

Nope..
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

Create a new folder and move some of the files into it. Can you play these?
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:09 PM

Won't let me move them...says access denied, but I can delete them so I know I have full access rights.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

Well if it is just the files that you moved that you have a problem with, I can only guess that they corrupted when you moved them but I cant explain why this should happen.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM

It was suggested on another forum to try one of the following:
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm
http://www.restorer2000.com
http://www.runtime.org/hints.htm
...an its working out great! So thank you for your time, an I'm sure I'll be back eventually ;]
.B.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for the update Sidistyk. Which utility worked for you?