Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:06 AM

Speaker not working. Sound card?

Hello. please put into account that the most I know about computers is the basics(installations, copying, etc), and how to reformat/reinstall windows. And my computer has windows XP professional installed but I have no clue what the sound card is, other than it's a greenish coloured board with many little things on it. lol

Anyway, I've been having a problem with my sound for about the past year or so. I had two small desktop speakers; it took me a while to notice, but the left one just stopped working. I figured it was because the cord was pulled out a bit from the back of that one speaker, but when I got my brother's stereo system (two speakers with a main box) later on, my computer's sound only worked through the right speaker (the left one has no sound, just like before). Although when I play CD's or the radio straight from the stereo, both the speakers work. And since I've had this one speaker problem, I've had my computer reformated multiple times, so if there was something I unchecked, it would have been fixed in the many reformating processes. So my question is that is this problem my sound card and should I go out and buy a new one? Also, I've had computer 'nerd' friends of mine look at my computer and they've told me my computer thinks that both speakers are working.

Any replies of any sort would be helpful.
Thank you.

Last edited by steeniekins; December 22nd, 2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:09 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Try wiggling it around, maybe the jack inside become broken and not making contact.