Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Mouse & Keyboard Don't Respond in Normal Mode (But does in Safe Mode)?

Hello all- big problem here.

I have a Acer Aspire laptop running on Windows XP Home.

2 days ago I rebooted the machine & then the problem started. My mouse and keyboard are EXTREMELY slow to respond, if they do at all. It's almost like some program is running and just taking all the system resources up.

When I log in using Safe Mode - everything works just fine, which tells me it's not a driver issue. Anyone agree or disagree?

I paid my $35 to Microsoft and got, well, no help in my opinion. It took 1 1/2 hours for the tech to tell me use MSCONFIG to disble start-up (didn't work), create a new account and try to log-in (didn't work), and use System Restore (didn't work as I had no restore points for whatever reason).

So, I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any advice at all about what to try?

I desperately need to run it in normal mode, and quick, I have a major presentation in 2 days I need to use it for.

I dont think its a virus either. My scan didnt catch anything.

THANKS SO MUCH for any help!!!
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try to do a system restore to a saved restore point from just prior to when the problem started.
Old October 4th, 2006, 04:32 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
Look in the device manager for conflicts.

Windows uses different drivers for safe mode, so it could be a driver issue. Your computer should have come with a support/install cd. See if there any drivers for the touchpad.
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Unfortunately I can't use the system restore as it tells me that there are no previous points to use. I don't know if this is a limitation in Safe Mode or not.

Also, I just reinstalled the drivers... no luck!
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:14 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
maybe you caught something nasty, post a hijackthis log in the cyber safety forum so someone can look at it. see thsi for more info.
Old October 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the advice again. I did just post that under cyber safety with the log. Hopefully someone will know whats happening. I'm clueless! Weird that if it is hijacked my virus scan didnt catch it.