Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
COMPLETE newbie

I just got a CD with Linux Fedora Core 5 on it and would like to put that on my laptop. I already have Windows XP and would NOT like 2 uninstall it or (preferably) not lose all my files. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,
James
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:37 PM

That question requires a rather lengthy answear. However, you can view the full documentation at the fedora project and it should explain what is necessary.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:27 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Don't panic Never. It's not as hard and legnthy as it sounds. My first experience with Linux was, I found the book "Linux for Non-Geeks" at the library, and it included the installation disks for Fedora. And the book told me what to do on every step. It wasn't hard at all, and there's no need to get all paniced about messing around Operating Systems. lol
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM

To give you a detailed answer would actually be lengthy, because it differs according to how much of your drive you wish to assign to fedora core. The installation is completely graphical, however, so it should walk you through it if you just put the install disk into your drive and boot it. Make sure that your optical drive is set as the first boot device in your bios.