Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:38 PM

low virtual memory

HELP! My C drive is SO FULL , that I now get a "low virtual memory" message. Could anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:47 PM

You can disable the virtual memory, but itsnīt recommendable, I suggest that you clean your hard disk, delete innecesary data, or made a backup of itself.
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
I do not recommend disabling your virtual memory because you will have more problems.

I suggest using Ace Utilities to clean your drive. It will go through it and delete almost all temporary and backup files that you do not need anymore. It has a free 30 day uncrippled trial so you can gain space for free.
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:30 PM

Thanks Dan, I'll follow up on the Ace lead.

And while we are at it... could someone explain to me about this low virtual memory message? I have a crowded C drive and plenty of space in other hard drive partitions, but when I install some programs they want to install in the C drive. Sometime I can tell the installation to go to another drive, but sometimes I don't have that option.

Is there anything I can do to move programs to another drive once they are installed in C, without uninstalling and installing again?

As always, thanks for the help.

Old April 1st, 2004, 11:01 PM
CTH Subscriber

generally speaking virtual memory is where space on your harddrive is used to supplement ram.

Most programs must be uninstalled and reinstalled on a new drive because files will be scattered throughout different directories and the links between them will be lost if just moved. Some programs runs better when the whole thing is within one drive. That is why sometimes you are not given a choice.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Nearly all programs, by default, will install themselves on the primary master drive, or the C:\ drive. However, most programs also allow for a custom install to be performed. Here, you should be able to modify the path for the install. It's a simple change of the drive letter. For exmple, x program wanted to install to c:\program Files\xprogram. You should be able to change that to d:\program files\xprogram, or whatever the drive letter is in your computer that you want the program to install to other than a CD-ROM or CDRW drive.

Open Windows Explorer (Start\Programs\Accessories) and look in

c:\Documents and Settings\{UserNmame}\Local Settings\Temp

This is typically the location where programs will extract themselves before install and where a lot of programs put misc files in to work with. Anything in here can be tossed. Dump it all.

If you can't see the directory, the go to Tools, Folder Options and click on the View tab. In here, choose Show hidden files and folders, click the apply button then Ok. Now you should see it.

Also, another little thing is the size of the Internet Temporary Files for Internet Explorer. By default, it uses a certain percentage of your drive. The larger the drive, the larger amount of area it'll take. To reduce this go to Start\Settings\Control Panel and double click on Internet Properties. In here, click on the Settings Button near the middle of the General Tab. See the value? I just reinstalled 2K on this box. On a 80GB partition it's set to 2385MB. This is how much junk it'll accumulate before it start dumping. That's a HUGE area. Reduce it to something more manageable like 100 or so. Also, click on the Delete Files Button next to it, put a check mark in the Delete all offline content and click Ok. Depending on how much stuff is in here, you might want to go get a cup of coffee or watch a movie.

Make sure you use the Defrag tool after cleaning that all up.

Hope this helps.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM

Hi Post Code....

I followed you message and a couple of things came up. With Windows NT I can change the location of the temporary files, so I did.... away from the C drive. I've also learned to look out for the "browse" option when I install programs so to do that away from the C drive. BUT I still find a bunch of "program files- 120MB" of Microsoft files still in the C drive after I installed it elsewhere.... how can I move those also away from the C drive? ...

I couldn't find the c:\Documents and Settings\{UserNmame}\Local Settings\Temp (and all files are showing-- non hiding) and finally, in NT4 there is no Defrag tool.

Thanks for your leads..... and any others.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Some programs HAVE to have some of their files installed on the C drive I'm afraid so to an extent it is unavoidable.

What else do you have running on this box server-wise ? You didn't mention previously that you were on NT4
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

Ohhh this is a NT4 box. I thought it was a 2000 system. The temp files in Windows NT 4 are located in the c:\temp directory.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

Here is how to move the Swap file to another drive:

http://lists.isb.sdnpk.org/pipermail...ne/002236.html

Hope this helps.
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600
I do not recommend disabling your virtual memory because you will have more problems.

I suggest using Ace Utilities to clean your drive. It will go through it and delete almost all temporary and backup files that you do not need anymore. It has a free 30 day uncrippled trial so you can gain space for free.
Dear Renegade.

HELP!

I downloaded the ACE utility but at install I get an error message of this sort:

... dll may be missing, corrupt, or wrong version File "MSIMG32.dll", error 126

Could you tell me what that means? Since I've been unable to reach the ACE folks, I thought I could move forward with your help.

And as always, thanks again.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM

I moved the swap file as directed and space became free in drive c. This seems to be a fundamental procedure to make space available. Could you explain what it means?

Thanks
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM

how do u get rid of the sighn low virtual memory
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:03 AM

lajaulavira,

The swap file is basically a bit of your hard drive that windows keeps back to dump anything from it's memory to, if its memory gets too full. It's a bit like having a notepad if you're taking a message, if the message starts getting too much to remember you dump it from your memory to a more permanet thing (notepad or hard drive in Windows case). Windows needs this bit of 'working space' but you can tell it which bit of your hard drive(s) to use. In your case you've told it not to note things down on C: but E:

jimbobobobobo