Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Lose internet when install service pack 2

I just got this new laptop and i have to so all the updates. The internet is working fine until i download service pack 2. It says the local area network is connected and even shows the icon. But when i browse using firefox or ie they don't load anything. They say page cant load. How can i fix this?
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Can you ping out by IP? Try running 'ping 8.8.8.8' from the command prompt and see if you get a response. If so, check your DNS settings.

I've been seeing the proxy settings in both Firefox and IE changing somehow, seemingly on their own. I'd check that also.

Make sure proxy server is disabled in both of the following locations:

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections tab > LAN Settings > Proxy Server

and

Firefox > Tools > Options > Advanced tab > Network > Settings...