Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Web Development & Graphic Design

Notices

Web Development & Graphic Design Problem Solving for Graphic Design, PHP, ASP, Perl, MySQL, SQL, XML, HTML issues

Topic Tools
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Question File name and location

Hello

So I'll host some files and I need some advice regarding filenames, here is my code for download:

PHP Code:
<?php
$filename 
"1234.rar";
header("Pragma: public"); // required 
header("Expires: 0");
header("Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0");
header("Cache-Control: private",false); // required for certain browsers
header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary"); 
header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Length: ".filesize($filename));
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=\"my-new-name.rar\"");
readfile($filename);
?>
everything works ok, now I have files located in folder (is same level as public_html) so it can't be accessed via http and I think that this is secure as it can be. Now I was thinking about encoding names of files and then decode it on every download, so that I hide the real file name..

Do you find this secure enough, ok encode/decode is waste of time? I did find some great encrypts, but they also include some "weird" symbols, and using just md5 looks just too much noob

I also must mention that my script doesn't show location of the file, everything is done in background and then the above function is called, so nobody even knows the real name of files, location etc... but again I would be in a big problem if I made a mistake and open a door to hackers...
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
You could throw a timestamp in the filename along with a random alpha character or two at the beginning. Tends to look logical and ok without being too "weird." I do something similar as well and personally feel hiding the actual file names is a good measure to keep people from guessing other file names.
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM

can you give an example? maybe on PM if it's private...
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Hello

I'll just use this topic, I'm using the script posted above in a function located in class which a call within class. It works, but when I refresh the page, for some reason I can see the html source code...
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:08 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista
Sorry I didn't follow that. You can only see it when you refresh or when you don't refresh?

Is it possible to link to the site or give us a sample of the code that is doing it.

Keep in mind if you are posting information to a page (from a form for example) you can't guarantee the browser will resend the posted information (most browsers will ask if one wants to resend the information).